Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vicky2009 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 03:07 PM
    Can I collect dead boyfriend social security
    I boyfriend died an we were living together over 10 years can I collect his social security I am 62 years old
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 08:08 PM

Absolutely NO. You are not his widow and cannot collect anything since he's dead. There is no common law marriage recognized now. Just living together is not going to get you any benefits. Had you been married that would be a totally different story.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 08:35 PM

Where do you live, common law marriage exists in at least 10 states but each state has rules about what constitutes common law marriage. How to Know if Your Common-Law Marriage Is Recognized
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2010, 10:44 AM

The Social Security Administration will only recognize your common-law marriage if the state where you reside recognizes your common-law marriage.

To make sure that you would be eligible for survivor benefits, you need to go to a SSA office and fill out forms, provide statements from two blood relatives, and provide supporting evidence of your common-law relationship.

That is from the link the Ballenger provided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my Filipino wife collect my social security in the Philippines after I die [ 3 Answers ]

We are retiring to the Philippines in 2012,married here in US she is here 1 year 4 months now on a Green Card,I can collect SS in the Philippines but want to make sure if I die she will get Spousal survivors benefits in the Philippines,I am 61 she is 40 now,don't know if it makes a difference but I...

Social Security disability,unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(

Can you collect firt last and security [ 2 Answers ]

Can a lanlord collect first and last month plus a security deposit

Employer did not collect social security tax and medicare of H1b [ 4 Answers ]

I started working in U.S with TN Visa status from Jan 2008 to Sep 2008 then with H1B until now. I went accountant office for my income tax return and submit my W2 but had a trouble. He said my employer has not collected social security tax(SS) and medicare(MD) and I might be punished later. HR...

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

View more questions Search