Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    evatorres Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Vizio 32" less than 6 months old - no sound
    I have a Vizio 32" and for the past few weeks it would have no sound for a few minutes then the sound would come. Today, there is no sound at all.
    These are the possible solutions I've tried:
    Unplug the TV-turn back on
    Turn off the cable box-turn back on
    There is abosultely no sound. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Please advise. Thank you
    lsantiago Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Simply call VIZIO Toll-Free at (888) 849-4623. If a problem cannot be taken care of over the phone a technician will be sent to you home.

Vizio TV's come with a one year warranty
    Excalibur2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Try going into the Menu and check the Speaker On/Off setting. They have a habit of turning off for no reason.
    chawklet Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2010, 03:54 AM
    I had the same thing just happen and I used the following instructions from the Vizio Website for "humming sound" on TV and it worked. My sound is now working!!

1- Power off TV

2- Unplug TV from outlet

3- Press and hold in the power button on the TV for 30 seconds (while it is unplugged from the wall)

4- Release the power button

5- Plug in the TV into a different outlet

6- Power the TV back on.

Reset the TV settings.
    givnuapeacesign Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 10:27 AM
    My VIZIO HDTV DTV had no sound at all, and the chawklet answer above SOLVED my same problem RIGHT away!! BRAVO!!

Power off.

Unplug.

While unplugged, hold power button for 30 sec.

Plug back in.

Power back on, and it was BACK!!
    jchrista Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 08:53 PM
    Thank you! Thank you! Totally worked and I was about to go crazy! Thank you!!
    jchrista Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
    Unplug TV.

Hold down power button on the TV for 30 seconds.

Plug in and turn on.

Sound was back!

Thank you!!
    BrieRoc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
    My TV won't power on. The Vizio light is on in the front, as if it has power, but no matter what I try it doesn't cut on. Help!!
    CaptAwesome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
    This(I apologize if I come across crass) is the dumbest thing I've heard this week. 1st off, when the TV is off, holding down any buttons will do absolutely nothing(the only reason you're ever told to hold a button when a device is off, is so that it engages when you first turn on the device b/f the device's software picks up

If only 1 type of audio output is causing this problem, then there is an issue with either the cable you are using for your audio or the actual port. If this issue exists with all of your audio ports then read below

This is the diff b/w 'so called technicians' and actual engineers. Turnt he TV off for 60 actual seconds, turn it back on and your audio should be working. If it's still not, then you need to replace one of the pcb boards inside the tv(if your reading all this your probably not going to do it yourself. But just so you know the problem is either the main board, or power supply board,(assuming there isn't a separate board just for audio functions) there are some faulty components, capacitor not holding a charge, or taking longer to power up, burnt out group of resistors, etc. the tech they send isn't going to go this in depth either, and the people you talk to on the phone don't know anything about electronics, they're just reading out of a manual given to them by the engineers with solutions for the most likely of basic issues. Go to SquareTrade and get an extended warranty ASAFP, then get your set fixed.
    mlc818 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
    @Capt Awesome

You're mistaken, the "power" light/button on these Vizio TV's stays lit even when unplugged, though presumably this is temporary. I followed the instructions of unplugging, then holding power for 30 seconds (which turned all the lights off) and then plugging it back in, and this fixed the sound on all inputs.

I would assume leaving it unplugged for any significant amount of time, maybe even 60 seconds, would also cause it to turn entirely off. I'm not entirely sure why they'd want to have the TV require some internal charged power source, though, since it just seems like an extra thing to break, but then again I don't know anything about TV designs.
    RKrupski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 04:02 PM
    My Vizio 32inch plasma had audio problems that started as poor quality audio and eventually led to no audio which would return if the set was powered off for a while but would cut out completely after about 10-15 minutes. I suspected bad capacitors as I had five other bad capacitors on the power board a few years ago that I had to replace to get the TV to turn on! So I opened it up again and looked at the power board and noticed two 470uF 10v capacitors that were bulging. I noticed one of them was next to a power connector leading to the Audio Module. I replaced both of them with 470uF 16v parts and tested the TV for 15 minutes, and the audio was fine, no audio problems to this date.

So it seems that Vizio power boards are built with inferior capacitors on the secondary output side. I replaced all bulging caps with premium Rubicon and Nichicon brand capacitors that were 105C rated and for all 10 volt parts I used 16 volt replacements.

So I suggest if you ever have audio or TV power on-off cycle problems, or a completely dead set, CHECK THE POWER BOARD! There may be dead or dying capacitors, check for bulging capacitors and replace them! It only cost about $12 worth of parts to replace dead inferior brand capacitors with new premium ones.
    CaptAwesome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
    @ mic818 it stays temporarily lit because of capacitors, when their power source disappears, the cap discharges and the light goes off.

@RKrupski how long ago did you replace the caps? That is a fantastic repair, it's nice to know I'm not the only one out here that knows anything.
    sailorman524 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2012, 08:35 PM
    I've had a sound issue (fading after 20-30 minutes) for almost 2 years and as it was purchased through COSTCO I tried their Concierge service. What a pleasant experience. The service lead me through a few re-settings of sound, then the whole 32" unit. Failing this, Vizio technical had me check the current firmware version. Mine was 2.29 and the latest is 2.49 and will correct the sound issue. They are going to send a USB stick with the upgrade and this should correct my problems.
    rujd1992 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 05:47 PM
    My vizio TV has sound, but I'm not getting sound from dvd. Checked all cables and then put a different dvd player and new hdmi cable and still no sound.
    insertusername Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2012, 01:37 AM
    I don't know about the TV, just throwing my two cents into a forum here... I work in the auto repair industry and we deal with a lot of capacitors.. we are supplied with similar methods to draining these capacitors so the idea is not that far fetched.

Hold a button down on a radio while reconnecting the batteries to reset them
    Connect battery terminals together to reset MAP parameters

Doesn't vouch that it works on the TV, just saying it's a plausible design characteristic. And if it worked for someone then good for them, but it was probably just the amount of time the TV was turned off that actually fixed the problem
    Novart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 01:15 PM
    You might call yourself 'awesome', but is not awesome to call some body dumb.
    BTW, the act of unplugging the TV, or any other electronic gadget, it has the purpose of discharging the bit of electricity it carries and in many cases this does the trick.
    charliegreen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 06:37 PM
    Problem: We had the same 'problem' with my Vizio VO420E TV connected to a Comcast/Infinity DTM. The sound didn't work. Tried everything on the TV component. We were only able to hear a humming sound from its speakers.

Solution: pressed the mute button in the DTM remote control and voilą! We did not know that there was a mute in the Comcast remote control. How or who pressed it? That's a different problem!:)
    aperry2315 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2013, 08:04 AM
    I'm sorry to the guy who said this was the dumbest thing he had heard all week. Your very very mistaken my 42 3D vizio TV did this sound just went out mid movie and we left it off overnight. Unplugged it as well. Next morning nothing it didn't fix until I held the power button down for 30 seconds with it unplugged. And believe me I was skeptical of this too but like aomeone else said my vizio logo stays on for about 2 minutes after my TV is unplugged I don't know what relevance that has to all this I'm just saying I tried everything else and the only thing I did differently was hold down that power button
    biff the pig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 05:17 PM
    Thanks
    jotkay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2013, 10:20 PM
    Just tried this solution for our Vizio that is several years old and it woked right away! Until today we've never had a problem with either of our Vizio LCD's, which are both 4-5 years old. Thank you Chawklet!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No sound on new Vizio HDTV connected to cable box [ 3 Answers ]

Just connected Vizio HDTV to DCT6400 cable box provided by Comcast and no longer have sound. Would like to see diagram of proper connectivity or set up guide to find resolution.

Volvo S80 - Door Lock is making a "spitting" sound when locking/unlocking [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2000 S80 T6 that has suddenly started making sort of a spitting sound in the back driver side door lock when the locks are prompted to lock/unlock. It doesn't usually keep the lock from functioning, but there have been a few instances where the lock doesn't lock. Any thoughts on what...

A/C Fan Emitting Loud "Whrrrr" Sound and spins slowly [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, My A/C Fan was emitting a loud "Whrrrr". Which gets loud, then soft, the loud again. Almost like the sound is oscillating. And Once in a while it starts "coughing", then It's back to the "Whrrr"s again. Well, today the blades stopped spinning (actually it is spinning, so...

HELP... Sound Design in "le fabuleux destin d'amelie pulain" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a new member in this forum. As I am studying multimedia, & I have to choose a movie not necesseraly new, & to study the sound design in it, I would like to give me your opinion about the sound in "LE FABULEUX DESTIN D'AMELIE POULAIN" for Jean-Pierre Jeunet. I'll be pleased if someone will...

View more questions Search