Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amfrugal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 09:26 AM
    Cast iron to pvc roof vent
    I'm having a new roof installed and the roof vent is cast iron with some kind of lip on the end which won't allow a standard roof flashing ring to go over it. Can I cut the cast iron w/sawzall below the roof line about 3 feet and transition to pvc through the roof to allow a proper flahing kit to avoid further leaks.How high above roof must the pipe extend and can I use a 4 band clamp for the connection. I live in Massachusetts. Thanks for your help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 14, 2010, 06:28 PM

Hi Neighbor...

YUP! Cut the cast iron with a sawzall as you suggested and install 2 band PVC x cast iron MISSION COUPLING (see image) to stay within code requirements although I think the 4 band clamp you suggested actually makes a better seal as it has the 4 bands... ;)

Lennox makes a great DIAMOND sawzall blade that'll cut that cast iron in 5 minutes if you can find it. Republic Plumbing Supply Company has 9 locations throughout Mass. so could check with them for all your needs.

Welcome to Republic Plumbing Supply Co.

They'll have a proper size roof boot, too... see image.

The vent needs to terminate 18"-24" above the roof line... depending on your city/town inspector.

Good luck!

Mark
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 10, 2010, 06:28 PM
    I think to be precise about height you need to know your pitch; the steeper the pitch the higher the vent must be, and it depends too on proximity to a chimney.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 06:35 AM

Hi joypulv...

As noted above, a vent that penetrates a roof in Massachusetts must be between 18-24" above the roof line... because of snow.

Pitch of the roof and proximity to a chimney have nothing to do with it here in Mass. Anyway.

Proximity to a SKYLIGHT, on the other hand, is a concern and the vent cannot be within 10 feet of that... ;)

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2010, 07:44 AM

Check with your local Building Department for code on the height of the vent from the roof line.
    Marks code calls for between 18 and 24 inches while our code allows 6" above the roof line. The difference being that Mark lives where it snows and I live in Florida.
    And how is your ttemperature today? Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 07:50 AM

Hey Tom...

Amfrugal is from my state... why I answered the question so specifically... ;)

Have a great day!

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2010, 08:06 AM

Thanks Mark I missed that part. My code also mandates that if you live in a frost area, Brrrr!'That all vents smaller then 3 inched be increased to 3" in the attic before exiting the roof. ( SPC-- 1405.1 and 2 (Frost Closure) So far when haven't had to do that in the Tampa Bay Area. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4'' cast iron vent stack through the roof [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Newbie here & need some advice on a recent bathroom re-model. When the walls were opened up, the 4" cast iron vent stack was badly corroded & replaced with about 10' of pvc going into the attic. Instead of going all the way through the roof with pvc, the guy doing the job connected the pvc to...

Cast iron to pvc transition for main vent stack [ 4 Answers ]

Hello to all. I am adding a 2nd story to my home. I have a 4" cast iron vent that y's off to pick up a galvanized 2" pipe for the bathroom below. I have a 2 part question. (A) The vent runs horizontally at a 90 for about 6 feet, then goes up through the roof. I would like to cut this out,...

Cast iron vent stack and PVC waste lines [ 1 Answers ]

I decided to replace the cast iron portions of my waste lines from a double vanity sink to the waste line. Previously a plumber had replaced the accessible portions with PVC so I have quite a mix. Now that I have opened up the wall, I see that I have a cast iron vent stack / hub (see pics: ) that...

How to vent after connecting PVC to cast iron sewer main? [ 7 Answers ]

I am connecting a PVC "y" to my main sewer main which is cast iron. The drain itself will only be about 7 feet from the connection. Should I vent? And if so where? Thank you for helping a helpless do it yourselfer.17737 17738 17739

Cast iron vertical from cast iron horizontal can be pvc? [ 2 Answers ]

A leak developed in the main cast iron vertical stack of pipes leading to the horizontal main drain. Unfortunately, for me, the leak was so close to the ground that I had to break the concrete slab of the house. At that point, it just made sense to dig an extra 4 inches or so and remove the bad...

View more questions Search