Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Dec 7, 2010, 06:27 AM
    2006 Kia Sorento making a weird high pitch noise on cold mornings
    So my car has started making a really loud annoying noise in the mornings since it's gotten cold. I first noticed it when I would turn and it sounded like something was rubbing against something. I have since noticed the car will make a slight noise while it's even idle. This morning I decided to start my car and let it warm up some and when I came outside I thought a bird was chirping at first. The noises it made when I turned weren't as bad but it still makes it. By the time I've driven 10 minutes it stops. Just a little back ground... I've had the car for 4 years and I just had some belts changed about 6 months ago. Any idea what the problem is?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2010, 06:43 AM

. Ensure the belts are properly adjusted. They may be straining the power steering/alternator bearings too much.

. Power steering pump. Try partially changing the power steering fluid. I use a pump from a bottle of Curel hand lotion. Do it again a few weeks later. I recommend full synthetic power steering fluid, especially for cold winter mornings:

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=PSFCN-EA

Don't overfill the reservoir--note the fill marks on the dipstick. If the problem persists, the pump may need replacing.

Dec 7, 2010, 07:05 AM
    Ok I will try that today and I will let you know. Thanks!
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2010, 07:16 AM

karent23, start using full synthetic engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum) in your engine. Change oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2162069

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2295563

Dec 9, 2010, 06:36 AM
    I put new power steering in the other night so it did make the noise yesterday morning but I was expecting that since it hadn't had time to go through the system (I wasn't able to get all of the old power steering out). This morning I started my car and let it warm up and I didn't have any problems. :)
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2010, 07:08 AM

Great. Do it twice more to get all of the old fluid out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside Heat & Air Unit making LOUD high pitch noise [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me. This is an older unit, we just replaced the compressor back in July and now once I started running the heat it makes a really loud high pitch squealing noise when it's running. Inside the house everything works fine, the heat comes out, etc... It is a heat...

Kenmore Washer Elite Model #110.22952102 Making High Pitch noise during drain. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite model #110.22952102. It just started making an awful high pitched noise during the first drain. I'm afraid to finish the cycle.:( Can anyone help me please! Thank you, Tammy

KIA sorento [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm looking for the cooling system bleeder valve on a '03 Kia sorento. I've looked all over the place n can't find it.

High Pitch Noise From My GE Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My GE dryer makes a high pitch noise while drying. What can I do to stop the noise?

Shower making high pitch whistling noise [ 4 Answers ]

My shower makes a high pitched whistling noise. This doesn't happen all of the time, and seems to be more pronounced when changing the temperature from hot to cold. It may come and go, or may make the noise during the duration of the shower. Any thoughts on what could cause this? Any help would...

View more questions Search