Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danna_ren Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2010, 01:02 PM
    How to replace old P trap toilet plan with new one
    I wanted to replace an old P-trap toilet pan (sewer pipe comes from the wall not the floor) with a new one. The new pan sits closer to the wall than the old one by 110mm, therefore the sewer pipe that comes from the wall (i.e. 100mm diam. Steel pipe) need to be cut. I plan to cut this using a grinder, then join the sewer pipe from the wall with the one from a new pan (100mm ceramic pipe) using sewer pipe collars. Some collars have black rubber surrounds it to seal gaps. I am not sure if I should use the one with rubber or without. The one with rubber has an inner pipe dimension of 90mm. Is this the right size?
    Thanks for your help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 07:57 PM

HI Danna..

I can't tell you exactly what size "collar" to use here... best fit will do, I'm sure.

Most wall hung toilets have closet nipples they use to connect the carrier and compress the wall hung toilet's gasket. Here, you may be able to remove the old nipple and install a new wall hung toilet nipple... the end is enlarged and will not cut into the neoprene setting gasket (like the nipple end will do if you grind it).

See image below... does your toilet rough in look like the picture (wax gasket is not best seal, by the way)? Let me know, OK?

Back to you...

Mark

Why not get a nipple of the correct size?
    Attached Images

Dec 4, 2010, 02:51 AM
    Hi Mark, Thanks for your post. Our toilet does not look like the image attached, it is not wall hung but floor mounted (but the pipe goes to the wall, not floor). I have bought a collar with rubber seal that I think will fit. My question is now: what is the best way to seal the junction between the steel pipe and the ceramic pipe (of the new pan). I have some images showing the existing junction connection but don't know how to attach these images here.

Danna.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 05:24 PM

At the answer the question box at the bottom of the page write your response and then click on the GO ADVANCED icon... brings up new window

Then click on the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS icon... brings up a new window

Then click on the BROWSE icon (can load 3-5 photos) and then find the picture you want to post to the site in your computer and double click on it... this loads it to the window. Now, in the same window as the browse icons you click on the UPLOAD icon to upload the picture(s) and then close the window.

Click on the SUBMIT ANSWER icon and all should show up here.

Back to you...

Mark

Dec 4, 2010, 09:40 PM
    Test only

Dec 4, 2010, 09:42 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Hello Mark, It didn't work. There was no GO ADVANCED icon.
    Let me try again.
    Danna
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 05:32 AM

Sorry Danna...

They made some changes to the site and I have yet to catch up with some of the new stuff.

Give me a little while and I'll post the steps that work in the "skin" you are using, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace old P trap toilet plan with new one [ 0 Answers ]

I wanted to replace an old P-trap toilet pan (sewer pipe comes from the wall not the floor) with a new one. The new pan sits closer to the wall than the old one by 110mm, therefore the sewer pipe that comes from the wall (i.e. 100mm diam. Steel pipe) need to be cut. I plan to cut this using a...

If don't have floor trap in toilet room how to solve the floor trap problem [ 4 Answers ]

We have separated toilet and bathroom in my hdb flat. There's not provided floor trap in our toilet room. Now we have to make a hole in the wall between toilet and bathroom and the water flow from this hole to the bathroom. But not all the water are not flowing to the bathroom. Can you help me to...

Replace drum trap with p trap [ 6 Answers ]

How do I replace with pvc wher do I put p trap and how do I connect it up

Can I Replace Drum Trap with P Trap? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! My house was built in 1960 and has a slab foundation. I have removed the old master bathtub that I plan to replace with a shower. I have a couple of questions concerning the drum trap on the floor next to the master tub. First, the drum trap is so close to the bathtub that the new style...

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

View more questions Search