Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Nov 30, 2010, 12:10 PM
    Broken Packing Nut on Main Shutoff
    I recently bought a house built in the late 40s. The house has copper piping, which might be original. The main supply is in a 3/4 inch pipe with an old handle valve, the original shutoff. About 10 years ago, the town installed a meter beyond this, with a ball valve shutoff. If we want to turn the water off, we use this valve.

The original valve is leaking (slowly) from the stem because of a partially split packing nut. Ideally, I'd replace or eliminate the valve, but can't do that unless the town water is turned off. It is already winter there (NH), with snow and ice on the ground, so this would probably have to wait until spring. Even then, I have no idea if there is a town shut off or if it would work after 60 years.

So, I would like to try to replace the nut, which exactly fits in my 3/4" wrench. I did not find such a nut in a couple of stores, and from looking around online, it sounds like packing nuts are not standardized (or available). Does anyone have any idea where I could find a compatible nut?

Any other ideas about how to fix or temporize this problem? Could I try to tighten a wire around the nut or use Pow-R-Wrap?

Thanks in advance.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 11:14 AM

Hi Dennis...

I'd be darn careful even touching the old shutoff if you can't be 100% sure where the street shutoff is... just in case, huh?

First, I'd contact the town and have them find the street shutoff. They don't mind doing it... part of the job!

Here, when you know you have access/control over the water main into the house you can start to mess with the repair work... ;)

You could try to find a matching packing nut, but you will probably be better off getting some JBWELD PUTTY STICK (see below) or some similar marine epoxy putty and filling over the packing nut to stop any weeping for now and when you can, install a new ball valve type shutoff and be done with this... ;)

If you'd like to discuss more just let me know...

Mark
    Attached Images

Dec 1, 2010, 11:26 AM
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice - just Googled to see what it is. Do I wrap it around the whole valve stem and nut or is there a more specific part I'm after? Any suggestions on how to clean the valve before putting the putty on?

Thanks again.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 12:50 PM

I'd raise the packing nut and remove some of the packing insode a bit and then just clean real well with a wire brush.

Roll the putty up as instructed and then roll into a 1/4" rope and wrap around the stem and then tighten the packing nut well, but not too hard.

Some of the putty should squeeze out through the nut and you'll want to add another wrap of putty around the stem and then meld the puttys to a smooth seam with the packing nut and the stem...

Water will help you smooth the edges a bit. Let dry and in 1 hour hopefully, all is dry. If not, you may need to add a second coat of this stuff... ;)

Let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2010, 12:55 PM

Just wanted you to know that there's another option. First follow Marks advice about locating the meter shut off.
    Now shut the house sto[ off and remove the handle. Now unscrew the broken packing nut.
    All plumbing repair shops have a "bone yard" of old parts. Toilet tank lids, old brass valves etc. Take your nut in and have them match it off a old valve. Good luck, Tom

Dec 1, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Thanks.

I'll try to give it a go the weekend after this and let you know.

Jun 29, 2011, 09:16 AM
    Hi guys,

Just to let you know, I chickened out about doing anything to the valve myself. When it warmed up, I got a plumber to replace the supply pipe from where it enters the basement up to the new meter and install a ball valve shut off. It cost $188, which I consider a bargain.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be back again shortly :-)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 29, 2011, 10:59 AM

Thank you for taking the time to update us! See you again...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Slip Joint Nut [ 5 Answers ]

While replacing the bathroom sink in an old house, the slip joint connecting the pipe coming from the wall to the P trap broke. Unfortunately, there is a lip on the end of the pipe coming from the wall, so I can't simply slip a new slip joint nut onto the pipe coming from the wall. I removed the...

How to stop leak from packing nut area? [ 2 Answers ]

I've replaced the 3 stem valves on my faucet and one drips around the packing nut. It only has 1 drip every time I turn on the faucet. I've tightened the nut as much as I can and still has drip. It's a gerber brand about 40 yrs old. HOw can I stop the drip?

Packing nut leaks [ 4 Answers ]

I have a packing nut leak on a main line shut off valve. Can I remove the packing nut to make a repair without turning off the water?

Water main nut [ 1 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve nut inside the house is cracked and needs to be replaced. It has a turn knob like your outside water hose has. To change the nut can you turn the water shut off value off and take the knob off and replace the nut or do you have to turn the water off from outside?

Where to get packing nut for shower [ 1 Answers ]

I need a packing nut. The nut that goes on the stem behind the shower nut. I can't find them anywhere. I have looked under packing nut, bonnet packing nut, faucet repair etc. Is there another name?

View more questions Search