Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worried18 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2010, 04:31 PM
    Why do I have a random blister on my leg?
    I have recently discovered a blister on my lower leg. It appeared literally overnight, four days ago. I discovered it after a night out and am told it looks like a brun mark even though I'm pretty sure it isn't. It was very swollen and quite itchy with a red outline. At first I burst it with a pin and drained the fluid, dressing it during the day and leaving it free at night. Today the blister is swollen and fluid filled again. I am not sure what this blister is, what caused it or what to do with it. Please help!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 24, 2010, 05:18 PM

Sounds like you infected it when you pricked it, with what ? Was it sterilized, whatever you used? Burn blisters should not be broken, should not covered up and should be left alone so the anitbodies can gather inside that blister and heal the skin within.

I don't know what the blister is ? How would we know that ?

It does sound like a burn blister.

Leave it alone, don't dress it, don't touch it. Now all you have to do is keep it clean.

Tick
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 04:25 AM

Ostentatious? Why? For whatever reason the blister appeared water filled, so has to be treated as a burn blister. Should not have been broken. This is causing infection. That is why the healing process has started all over again. Leave it alone until the healing process ends.

You asked a question, got a proper answer and for whatever reason, chose to say I was pedantic and rude. I guess you didn't like the answer, but I don't see anymore fortthcoming. You got the answer from a healthcare professional.

I re-iterate, don't dress it, don't touch it, keep it clean.

Here is another rude answer.

Tick

Nov 25, 2010, 06:48 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    A health care professional? Why would you chose to spend all day on a website like this then?
    What exactly is a health professional anyway?
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 06:55 AM

I work at a regular job in my community doing about 50 hours a week and volunteer here. I am a certified Personal Support Worker and a Registered Nurses' Aid. I happen to be on here now because I work the night shift tonight 1100 pm to 700 am. I also own a home and am working past retirement age in Ontario.

I am not on here 'all day'; I don't know where you are located, but probably in a different time zone from mine. That's why it seems like all day.

I have been on here, not 24/7, but in my spare time since 2007. It is an enjoyable past time for me.

Tick
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 06:59 AM

A health care professional? Why would you chose to spend all day on a website like this then?
    What exactly is a health professional anyway?
    What is a health professional? I am a health professional. I am a registered nurse who volunteers her time to help others. Just as Tickle is a health professional.

I agree with Tick in treatment. By bursting the "blister" with a pin you most likely introduced infection since the pin was not sterile. I'm pretty sure you don't have an autoclave to sterilize, so no matter what you did, the pin was not sterile.

Nov 25, 2010, 07:06 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    So, its 6ft under for me? Thank you for your kind and helpful tips. I will remember them next time I pick up a random blister. Thank you, nurses of the world.
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 07:20 AM

That was a very nice reply, worried. No, not 6, maybe 2. Just don't pick up anymore unsterilized accoutrements next time !

Have a good day !

Tick
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 07:28 AM

If you weren't so rude from the get go we would have been happy to help you.

Now, don't touch it, let it air dry, and when the blister bursts try putting some triple antibiotic ointment on it.

Nov 25, 2010, 07:31 AM
    Comment on J_9's post
    It seems to have burst, I have a plaster on it to stop my jeans rubbing it.. Where would I be able to find this ointment?
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 07:40 AM

Seems you aren't very good at apologies either.

You can find it over the counter nearly anywhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Constant Left leg pain - starting at the middle of the left buttock & goes down leg [ 6 Answers ]

Any ideas what would cause this condition on a grown man? Constant Left leg pain - starting at the middle of the left buttock & goes down leg. Thanks for helping

Blister near the eyes [ 1 Answers ]

My son has small bubble like blisters near his eyes closer to the nose for over 20 days they are increasing now. Is there any home treatment for it? Or any other herbal treatment for it?

Blood Blister? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, This is not for the faint of heart... I have some type of blood blister on my forehead, and can't figure out how to get rid of it. It started as a zit, which bled heavily when I accidentally scratched it. Then, it seems like the blood clotted into something that looks like a raised...

Blister on heal [ 3 Answers ]

I have started to walk everyday. I have got a large blister on my heal of my foot. Should I drain it? What should I do? I do not want to start walking.

View more questions Search