Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tammyl77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 06:05 AM
    Trouble shooting a Trane xr80 Furnace
    My furnace is blinking 3 times and won't turn on. I have a Trane XR80 and no manual or trouble shooting codes. Could somebody please tell me what it means when it blinks red 3 times and won't turn on? Thanks... very cold:confused:!!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 12, 2008, 02:40 AM
    Look on the inside of the blower door for the trouble codes.
    JLeggs73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 06:39 PM
    According to the manual it's the following:

Draft Pressure Error - Possible Problems:
    Venting Problem
    Pressure Switch Problem
    Inducer Problem
    0nefixworked Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 01:56 PM
    Same issue: fan comes on for about a minute then shuts off, flame never comes on, and indicator blinks three time repeatedly. Pressure switch good... closed with pressure, open with no pressure. Rest of circuit (yellow wire loop) closed circuit (24VAC loop good). While incidentally moving orange wire from pressure switch to control board, noticed a change in the indicator and triggering of relays on the control board. With power off, unplugged cable assembly from control board and reseated it. Working like a charm now! (hvac1000 & JLeggs73, your replies narrowed down the troubleshooting... thanks!)
    jdig644h Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 12:37 PM

I just had that problem had to buy new circuit board easy to install. $189.00 for part.
    redarch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2010, 09:46 PM

I did not replace filters when [I] should have. I believe the gas is not igniting because the limiting switch is turned off. After replacing the filters, is there a reset button for the switch to allow the gas to ignite?
    mgandrew Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 04:31 AM
    My Trane must have a similar problem except the problem comes and goes. For instance the other morning it was turning on via the thermostat, the blower fan starts, burners ignite and then after 45 seconds or so it shuts down. This repeats. I turned off the power to the whole furnace (thinking a "rebout" might help) and then with the thermostat in the off mode and the power on again I activated the heat mode and it started and ran just fine.

Oct 7, 2010, 04:41 AM
    So this AM I get up and the thermostat is set on 64 and the temp is 64 so I bump it up to 65 and the furnace starts and runs just perfectly. Then 10 minutes later the vent fan starts but the furnace doesn't. This repeats for several cycles until I turn down the thermostat to 63. The error code is three flashes. Pressure switch. How does it work sometimes and not others?
    auburndan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 01:46 PM
    I had the same issues (3 blinks, and the pressure switch circuit was fine). Unplugged unit, disconnedcted and reconnected sensor wires at controller board, plugged unit back in, reset thermostat, and presto! Works like a champ. Thanks to all for the previous posts.

Nov 14, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Comment on auburndan's post
    I bought a new switch for $25.00. Took all of about 5 minutes to install. Furnace has worked since except for one time when it acted like it did prior.

Nov 27, 2010, 03:34 PM
    OK after several weeks of proper function the same old thing started again. Cycling on and off with no ignition. Three quick flashes indicating the pressure switch as the culpret. Well since it is new I looked elsewhere and found the problem. The tubing connected to the pressure switch comes form the Combustion chamber and the "pressure" is then sent out the other side of the switch to the gas valve and to somewhere else. THE CHEAP PLASTIC ELBOW THAT "FITS" INTO THE GAS VALVE WAS VERY LOOSE! Teflon tape tightened that connection as well as the others and with that I think I'm moving on!
    Ty524 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 02:36 AM
    My furnace keeps going out after it ignites can this be caused by a dirty filter
    Foreman82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 04:46 PM
    What does Continuous Replace IFC the LED stays on all the time- no flame, no glow nothing
    I have an American Standard Freedom 80 Furnace. My thermastat will not even come on. I replaced the circuit board because it had major melt issues. Any ideas what I might have done wrong. I connected each wire and bracket one at time when switching from the old to new.
    auburndan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2011, 06:06 PM
    Comment on Foreman82's post
    I read a post that advised disconnecting the connector from the controller board, and then plugging it back in. I did that, and the problem went away. Kind of like rebooting your PC. Could it be "windows furnace edition?" :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane XR80 Furnace will not stay lit [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 6 year old Trane XR80 furnace that will not stay lit. It will light for about 2-3 minutes than will go out. It will stay out until the system is turned off for a significant amount of time. The filters are new and I have cleaned the burner parts. What other things can I check?...

Trane XR80 Furnace Open High Limit Device [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Trane XR80 furnace that has an LED flashing 4 times--Open High Limit Device. The filters are new and clean, I replaced the high limit switch, cleaned the flame sensor. Are there other switches I could check? Any other ideas? Thanks for any help or ideas. Brian

Electric TRANE XR80 won't come on [ 1 Answers ]

My tenant is trying to turn the furnace on for the first time this fall. She can get the blower to blow out cold air, but not hot. I told her to turn the (digital) thermostat to "off" and to leave it off for a bit. Then to turn it to "heat". She says when she does that it just blows out cold...

Furnace Trouble shooting [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Coleman Evcon Furnace. Model #15020A the problem is I replaced the Inducer motor, and The furnace starts like normal but then the flames goes out after about a minute or two. The LED light says the Pressure switch is stuck open but it seems fine. I tried to replace the PC board but can't...

Trouble shooting GMP Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gmp075-4 gas fired furnace, I just replaced the gas valve and the thing starts up fine but when the burner fires and the hot bar goes out the burner goes out any ideas? Limit switch maybe ?

View more questions Search