Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TaniDes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
    Florida Law on grace period on rent payment?
    I have been renting my apartment for 5 months now. I have an agreement with my landlord that the rent is due on 25th of each month but I am allotted a 5 day grace period, where thereafter I would be charge a $75 Late fee. I have always paid made sure to pay my rent no later then the 3rd day. She has always accepted my payment and never expressed any issues as to when she was receiving the rent.

On Firday, October 28th, I deposit my rent payment(still within the 5 day grace period), She confirm that she received the payment on Saturday. On Tuesday, she sent me a certified letter asking me to vacate the premises by the 24th of November due to Non-Compliance for inconsitency delay in rental payment. She claims that I have been continuously late on my rental payment, When I always make sure I ay my rent before the 5 day grace period. She has never give me any prior knowledge of any non-compliance. But now she is asking me to vacte by the end of the month after she has accepted my money. Can she do that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2010, 05:22 PM

Your rent is due on the 25th. Unless received by the 25th it is late. The grace period just means you don't get charged a late charge. It doesn't mean you aren't late. You have been abusing the privilege and the landlord finally got tired of it.

On the other hand, you can talk to her and apologize and tell her your rent will be on time in the future. If you do not vacate by the deadline, she will have to file for an eviction. This means a hearing and if you explain that you received no warning they she felt you were in non-compliance I doubt if the eviction would be granted. Also I don't think she gave you enough of a notice unless you are a month to month tenant.

Nov 12, 2010, 05:49 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    "abusing the privilege'" ? Granted I am new on renting, but as long as I have been paying rent She has never express any frustration about receiving the rent with in the 5 day grace period. I have tried 2 talk to her but she refuse to talk to me.

Nov 12, 2010, 05:55 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I know she can not evict me because she failed 2 go through the proper procedures through court. She served me a notice 2 vacate without the Op/ to cure. My lease agreement is for a year. What is the proper amount of notice that she suppose to give me
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2010, 05:56 PM

First, please don't use the Comments feature for follow-up. Use the Answer options (at the bottom) instead.

I agree, for the landlord to terminate your tenancy without expressing any frustration is unethical. That's why I feel a court will side with you as long as you promise to pay on time in the future. But its not a given and they could order an eviction. There is no issue of an opportunity to cure though. The fact is your lease specifies when rent was due. Its due the 25th, not 3-5 days later. You apparently have misunderstood what a grace period is. And since you have consistently paid your rent late, but never so late that it would invoke the late fee, it could be interpreted that you were abusing the grace period.

There is also the factor that clearly she no longer wants you as a tenant so do you really want to force her to allow you to stay?

Since you have a lease, then she was required to give 30 days notice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 07:00 PM

Agree, first was the 5 day grace period in writing, in the lease ?

But also if it is past the 25, it is late, and while no fee was due, it is to be expected on the 25, and if you were always late you can be evicted with notice for violation of lease terms.

As for the notice, the first notice you receive is not though the court, she gives you notice to move, if you don't move, she then files for eviction though the court.

Depending on how long and how many times you were late, may show they were accepting this prior, if you just rented it a few months ago and every payment has been late, you may have little defense
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TaniDes View Post
    ... On Tuesday [November 9th], she sent me a certified letter asking me to vacate the premises by the 24th of November ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Since you have a lease, then she was required to give 30 days notice.
    Just to be clear: she has not given a proper 30-day notice. She will have to do it over again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent due-how long is grace period to pay? [ 4 Answers ]

I heard that when rent is due,there is a 5 day grace period to pay before you can be charged late fees. My question is- Is the grace period 5 days including weekends or is it 5 working days excluding weekends and holidays. I live in an apt in the state of California. ...

Five Day Grace Period for Rent [ 7 Answers ]

What states have a five day grace period in paying rent

Is there a grace period when paying rent [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a grace period for paying rent

Do I have a grace period on my rent payment [ 2 Answers ]

My family of 5 received a 3 day notice on the 2nd after telling the manager we could not pay until th 7th. Is this legal in California or is there a mandatory grace period for people with financial hardships?

Grace period for rent [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any grace period after the rent is due in California before a 3 day notice is served?

View more questions Search