Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawnromano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Need a sample letter to write to claim ownership for a piece of abandoned property.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2010, 11:20 AM

Where would this be, State and/or country?. how do you know its actually abandoned.

You can't simply claim a property that appears (to you) unused as your own.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 10, 2010, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Where would this be, State and/or country?......how do you know its actually abandoned.

You can't simply claim a property that appears (to you) unused as your own.
    And to whom would such a letter be addressed? The record owner?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 10, 2010, 04:23 PM

You need to check to see if the taxes are being paid on this property. Lack of activity on the property doesn't mean is up for grabs. If taxes are paid its not abandon, taxes not paid it will go up for auction
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2010, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You need to check to see if the taxes are being paid on this property. Lack of activity on the property doesn't mean is up for grabs. If taxes are paid its not abandon, taxes not paid it will go up for auction
    Exactly... localities do not want property laying around where taxes aren't being paid.(that is lost revenue to them they are owed) and every property will fall under some taxing authority... they will take it and auction it off to someone who will be paying taxes if they aren't being paid... that means in all likelihood someone does own it and is paying the taxes. That means you can't "Claim it". If you want a property, look in the newspaper... lots there you can buy... or go to a tax sale. But the days of free property are basically long gone and won't return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I write a sample letter introducing my seed company to prospective clients [ 4 Answers ]

I need a sample letter introducing my company which deals in agro-inputs to prospective clients. The company will sell seeds, hoes, relief items items etc. our cacth word is " where quality counts" Kindly help urgently. Bitama

I need a simple topic to write a sample business letter proposal [ 1 Answers ]

I just need a simple topic to get started

How do I write a letter to a collection agency about a claim against me. [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued form a collection agency I have never heard of and I want them to send me information on this account or claim they have against me.

How to write a letter of introduction for my business sample [ 1 Answers ]

I have just opened a business {identifying info removed} and I want to send a letter of introduction to the local Attorneys and lending institutes telling them about my business. What I'm hoping to do with the Attorneys is estates and bankruptcy auctions and with the lending institutes is...

View more questions Search