Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMars Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 10:34 AM
    Size of waste lines from toilet to main
    I have been told that 3-inch drain from a toilet achieves a better "swirling" action than larger 4-inch pipe, therefore helping to carry away solid wastes better. Is this true ? And if so, how far should I run before opening up to the main 4-inch waste line that exists my concrete slab ? :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 13, 2005, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JMars
    I have been told that 3-inch drain from a toilet acheives a better "swirling" action than larger 4-inch pipe, therefore helping to carry away solid wastes better. Is this true ? and if so, how far should I run before opening up to the main 4-inch waste line that exists my concrete slab ? :confused:

"I have been told that 3-inch drain from a toilet acheives a better "swirling" action than larger 4-inch pipe"

Whoever told you that? Using that logic reducing to 2" or 1 1/2" oughta give you one hellava flush.

Code will allow you to rough in a toilet on the 1st. Or 2nd. Floor at 3 inches.
    However on a slab or basement under the cement you have to rough a toilet in at 4". Good luck, Tom
    JMars Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2005, 10:56 AM
    4" pipe it is !
    Thanks Tom, Something tells me I will be using this forum again. I think a lot of the self-help "Harry-Homeowner" books leave out details that make the difference between a job done right vs. a job... well you get the idea!
    Tjpen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Equal volumes of water will flow differently through different diameters of pipe. A larger pipe will allow the water to run down the bottom of the pipe, like a gutter or trough, rinsing the bottom of the pipe but not the upper half, where material buildup can occur over time. A smaller diameter will force the fluid higher up the pipe walls where the drag will induce a more turbulent flow, helping to flush the whole of the pipe cross section.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 8, 2010, 01:29 PM

Hey Tjpen,
    We thank you for the input and you're correct about how water flows, however, you're responding to a five year old dead thread, Look in the upper left hand corner for the date and welcome to Th Plumbing Page. Stick around and answer questions, Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waste disposal installation [ 4 Answers ]

When installing a disposal doe it matter if the drain line from the disposal is lower than the drain from sink? Will pressure move it on out? Does it have to have it's own trap or is it OK to run it above the one trap that is already in. I am planning on running the dishwasher drain into it as well...

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Waste lines in remodel [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of expanding and remodeling a bathroom. The toilet has moved and the connection to the existing draine pipe extends several feet bends 90 degrees then another several feet a second 90 degree bend then a few more feet to the existing drain pipe in the wall. We also have a...

3" PVC toilet drain size performance? [ 2 Answers ]

How appropriate and adequate is 3" PVC drain for a toilet? It would solve the current issue I have with a ridge from trying to mate 4" PVC to cast iron. I could slip the 3" pvc right into the main stack and avoid the butting of PVC and cast iron. I do see that most PVC toilet goods come in both...

Can I vent from [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning to install a bathroom in a small dormer room on the third floor of my old house. The room sits between two plumbing stacks. The original one with cast iron pipe and a newer one with ABS pipe. I wish to locate the toilet and shower stall on the wall with the cast iron stack. I...

View more questions Search