Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    titanman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 04:22 PM
    How to Replace Old Carrier Thermostat (mercury filled)
    I am wanting to replace my old theromstat with a programmable theromstat. However, I have run into a slight issue. The old thermostat only has two wires coming out of the wall and three wires ( yellow, red, white) tied to the mercury. The one white wire is going back into a radial button that states longer on it and some numbers. The two wires that are coming out of the wall that are tied to screws are red and yellow. Looks like the red is R and the yellow is W. Then it looks like they are tied back to the mercury but because of the radial button I can't see behind where the three wires going into the mercury are coming from. Also, another point the two wires tied to screws aren't really lined up with the letters. The letter W is all way to the top and the red is going into a screw cap that's close to the W, but not like the manual shows. Same with the yellow. I am trying to remove the old thermostat and install a Honeywell programmable thermostat. Any suggestions from anyone would be beneifical?

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2007, 05:33 PM
    It should be easy depending on which model. If it requires a common connection for power, you would need to run a new cable. Might be easier to exchange it for one powered by batteries. Otherwise, discard the dial thing, and connect the red wire to R or RH and the yellow to the W terminal. My guess is that the ''yellow'' wire was white originally. The dial thing is replaced by the anticipator setting in the thermostat. Go with the default as long as you don't have too long or short of cycles.
    titanman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Thanks for the reply!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Just this week thermostat was not on, flipped circuit(not blown) thermostat went on. Has happened 3 more times today. House is one and half years old. Took cover off checked connections. What is causing this?

Converting mercury bulb thermostat to digital [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TRANE XL1200 Weathertron heat pump with auxiliary heat. It is controlled by a Trane 3AAT80A1A1 mercury bulb analog thermostat. I have purchased a RiteTemp 8050C digital programmable thermostat to replace it. The analog thermostat has wired terminals marked O,R,T,G,Y,X2,B,W and F. It...

Carrier Programmable Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Programmable Thermostat I would like to install but I don't have any directions. Would anyone know how to hook it up? Thanks, Toots

Carrier thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My carrier thermostat was working, but then fan ran continuous. Checked thermostat, not lit. Book says internal power source, not battery, could this have given up, even with power still on? Is this renewable or do I need a new thermostat? It is 10 years old. Thanks

Need to replace thermostat? [ 2 Answers ]

Problems with programmable Honeywell thermostat and heating. New batteries put in a week ago. Basically it isn't necessarily following the scheduled program. Get up in the morning and the house is cold, cold, cold. The fuse box has a line run to the furnace. The line runs through a mounted...

View more questions Search