Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lucymox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Do children receive benefits if their parents is permanently disabled?
    I recently applied for social security disability benefits for a physical problem that will not go away. My doctor urged me to apply, so I am sure I will receive the benefits. I have been doing some reading on the SSA website and it appears that my children might receive money as well. Does anyone have experience with this? I am married, my husband works, I used to be a teacher, and we have two children. Since my husband works, will this affect my children by not allowing them to receive a benefit? I'm confused and would like to hear from people in a similar situation. Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 10:27 AM

You need to go to the Social Security office and sign your kids up now to receive benefits of their own. You will have to bring their ID when you apply. They will advise you approximately how much they would receive should you be approved to receive benefits. If you get turned down for benefits then you can go to an attorney to do your appeal. Most people get turned down the first time around, sometimes it takes years to get approved so don't think this is going to be easy to get benefits awarded to you. It is a long, hard, drawn out process in most cases. I used to work for a disability attorney in Florida and most cases took many years to get the benefits awarded. Good luck.
    jelly1bean Posts: 50, Reputation: 8

Oct 31, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Not sure if you have checked out the site: http://www.ssda.us/index_files/faqs.htm . It answers many question that you may have. Including about children getting benefits. What it says is about children getting benefits if parent is found disabled is this... If a parent is disabled, children who are: under 19, still in high school or disabled prior to age 22 are entitled to benefits. The benefit received by a dependent child is limited to 50% of the parent's monthly benefit... If that doesn't answer your question exactly, please check out the site. Also, you should have a phone number when you were approved for benefits that lists a number you can call for questions. Hope you find the answers your are looking for.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jelly1bean View Post
    Not sure if you have checked out the site: Questions . It answers many question that you may have. Including about children getting benefits. What it says is about children getting benefits if parent is found disabled is this....If a parent is disabled, children who are: under 19, still in high school or disabled prior to age 22 are entitled to benefits. The benefit received by a dependent child is limited to 50% of the parent's monthly benefit....If that doesn't answer your question exactly, please check out the site. Also, you should have a phone number when you were approved for benefits that lists a number you can call for questions. Hope you find the answers your are looking for.
    Good info but you still can't sign the kids up over the phone. Must be done in person.
    jelly1bean Posts: 50, Reputation: 8

Oct 31, 2010, 12:12 PM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    Correct, I said for questions you could call and ask. But that is correct you have go in person to sign up.
    lucymox Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the information everyone. I have not been approved yet, so do I need to wait for approval or go in now?
    bombombay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
    I have a similar situation I am an unemployed full time student and my husband receives ssi and ssa our daughter gets money from the ssa but not the ssi and I don't understand why.
    princessLT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 05:46 PM
    The reason why is because ssi is government funded, and ssa is what you and your employer pay in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do children receive SSI benefits for a disabled parent? [ 29 Answers ]

Do children that have a disabled parent that receives SSI benefits only receive a check themselves if they are under 18 years old? I have heard that if the parent was under a certain poverty level that the children would receive a check also. Is there any truth to this?

Married disabled parent does child receive [ 2 Answers ]

I'm young and married with 2 children and recently applying for ssi do to multiple sclorosis. My husband works. I want to know if my children receive benefits also. I didn't get a chance to work.I became pregnant after training to be a can and after the pregnancy I had a lot of problems and...

I'm curious about SSD payments to children of disabled parents. [ 1 Answers ]

If a parent is disabled, receiving disability payments and a child is receiving payments, do the child's payments come out of the parents disability payments? In other words, when the child turns 18 or finishes college, does the payment go back into the parents payment or is the child's payment...

Can volunteers receive benefits [ 2 Answers ]

Can volunteers of a nonprofit receive health benefits, life insurance or pensions/retirement benefits?

View more questions Search