Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rarnett1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Should you replace ducts when replacing a furnace?
    I am gong to replace my furnace, it was in the house when I moved in 17 years ago,
    And I have had problems lately,
    My house is about 30 years old. My question is should I replace the duct work when I replace the furnace? I do not see any problems. My only though is they may be old and dirty, as well as have problems I can't see,
    Thanks
    Ron
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
    If you do not have existing problems, your ducts should be fine. You may want to have the installer clean your ducts. It may be a few bucks cheaper since he will already be on site. Every time I have gotten an estimate from a HVAC guy they evaluated my ducts to insure they could handle the new volume of air.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ducts too big? [ 2 Answers ]

I am setting up some HVAC Zones in my home. I bought the motorized dampers and the bypass dampers. I did not take a scientific approach and just guessed at the size of the ducts/dampers based on what was there. That is if the "zone" had one sized, I added a "feeder" duct 2-3 inches bigger. Now I am...

Cleaning central AC ducts [ 1 Answers ]

The small AC vents in the ceiling show some dirt adhering to them. What does this mean and how should they be cleaned? Does this mean that I need the entire duct system cleaned this spring? Thank you. bbcnutxx

Insulation Contacting Furnace and Stove Ducts [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed blown in cellulose insulation in the attic of my home. As I was in a hurry to get the insulation installed, I forgot to install flashing around the furnace exhaust vent and the stove chimney to keep the insulation away. My question is: Is it necessary to install shields to...

Noisy return ducts [ 1 Answers ]

The wall separating 2 bedrooms on the second floor of the house contains a return air duct. Recently when someone walks near the wall, there is a banging noise coming from the wall. And several hours later, even though no one is upstairs, we hear banging noises again. Do you think the duct is...

Cleaning AC Ducts... [ 0 Answers ]

I had my air ducts cleaned out professionally 4 years ago when I bought my house. I watched the guy clean it with a rotating brush (about 4 inches diameter) hooked up to a vacumn cleaner. It was maybe about 10-15 feet long and he pushed it up in to each vent. Has anyone attempted to try and...

View more questions Search