Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sleeplessatnight Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Knocking/banging noise from air ducts
    We just moved in to this 1992 built house, which has a 10 year old furnace. I constantly hear a knocking ( TAK TAK ) mixed with semi loud banging noise from the vents through out our house. It comes from different air ducts. However when I turn off the furnace altogether, the noise stops after a few minutes.
    Its quite irritating in the nights. Please help !
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Quite often heat runs are not suspended correctly and they expand and contract. Can you see any of the ductwork, most of the time when I hear of this problem, it is an upflow furnace, located in a basement, and the registers are in the floor. Is this your situation?
    sleeplessatnight Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Yes, you are right. The registers are on the floor & it is an upflow furnace located in the basement. How could I suspend the heat runs correctly & where should I look for the problematic ones? Is there a difference between registers on the floor vs when they are wall mounted ( like we had in our old house ( 1928) built)? Thanks for your prompt reply.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Look for metal hanger that the pipes rest on. Then simply put a piece of foam insulation between the pipe and the hanger. Sorry I don't have enough time to fully reply to the second part of your question.
    Lan99dis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Our furnace is in the attic and the ductwork obviously goes downward through the walls. This "tac-tac" noise is in several places going to the first floor of our house. If I remove the drywall should I enlarge the space between the duct and the wood studs or put some type of insulation between the duct and the wood studs?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud Banging noise from pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a basement condo a year ago and my neighbors heat pipes goes through my bedroom. Since the day I moved in his furnace has been making clicking and loud banging noises. Last year, we have had a couple of plumbers come in and they have bled the pipes and said that should take care of it....

Rattling noise in heating ducts [ 1 Answers ]

After I have turned the heater on and it warms up and the air starts to flow through the ducts there is an aweful rattling noise coming from the ducts. There is warm air coming out. Is something loose or do I need to call out a professional. Thank you, Mimi

Loud knocking noise on central air [ 3 Answers ]

I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks

View more questions Search