Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2007, 01:35 PM
    CPVC adhesive... what to use?
    The subject states exactly what I want to know... what type of adhesive is best for connecting CPVC? Should I use a all in one (primer/adhesive) or a 2 part (seperate primer and separate adhesive)? Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 01:48 PM
    I've never used the primer/adhesive combo - and am a bit leery of using it especially since neither the primer nor the glue is expensive. I go the safe route and use the separate products.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    The subject states exactly what I want to know...what type of adhesive is best for connecting CPVC? Should I use a all in one (primer/adhesive) or a 2 part (seperate primer and seperate adhesive)? Thanks!
    Perhaps if you're a dentist you can use a "all in one primer and glue" (Google it) when you work on teeth but plumbers use primer and CPVC Cement when they work with plastic pipes. You have to realize what primer's used for on plastic pipes. It's used to take the "shine" off the pipe and rough up the surface so the glue will bond better. Sandpaper would do just as well. If you combined primer with PVC cement it would dilute the glue which is why it isn't done.
    Regards Tom

Jan 18, 2007, 04:55 AM
    Many of the CPVC cements that I've seen are "one-step." Is that what I want to use, along with a separate primer, specifically designed for CPVC?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 19, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    Many of the CPVC cements that I've seen are "one-step." Is that what I want to use, along with a seperate primer, specifically designed for CPVC?
    CPVC solvent cement should always be for CPVC piping and manufactured to meet the requirements of ATM F 493. Purple primer manufactured for PVC pipe is acceptable. Faster flashing CPVC primer is available, and is recommended for cold weather installations. Orange CPVC solvent cement and purple primer are specifically required by certain code bodies to facilitate identification by plumbing inspectors. Unpigmented CPVC solvent cement and primers are available and are acceptable in various jurisdictions. Clear cement/primer provides neater finished appearance. One-step cements are now available and are fully satisfactory if the manufacturer's instructions are carefully followed. Your local plumbing inspector can provide a final answer to this question.

It would appear I'm mistaken and one step solvents came on the market after I retired. My apologies! When I Googled One step solvents it took me to dental cement. However, I still prefer separate primer and cement for plastic pipe and fittings. Regards, Tom

Jan 22, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    CPVC solvent cement should always be for CPVC piping and manufactured to meet the requirements of ATM F 493. Purple primer manufactured for PVC pipe is acceptable. Faster flashing CPVC primer is available, and is recommended for cold weather installations. Orange CPVC solvent cement and purple primer are specifically required by certain code bodies to facilitate identification by plumbing inspectors. Unpigmented CPVC solvent cement and primers are available and are acceptable in various jurisdictions. Clear cement/primer provides neater finished appearance. One-step cements are now available and are fully satisfactory if the manufacturer's instructions are carefully followed. Your local plumbing inspector can provide a final answer to this question.

It would appear I'm mistaken and one step solvents came on the market after I retired. My apologies! When I Googled One step solvents it took me to dental cement. However,. I still prefer separate primer and cement for plastic pipe and fittings. Regards, Tom
    I got some purple primer that says it can be used for both. Should I use this for my CPVC and my PVC connections? Should I go and look for the orange stuff since it sounds like it might be better? As for using it, do I just brush the primer on, then immediately brush the cement on? Do I wait for something to dry first? Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
    You have to realize what primer's used for on plastic pipes. It's used to take the "shine" off the pipe and rough up the surface so the glue will bond better. Sandpaper would do just as well.
    Use the purple primer, brush it on, it will dry in a instant. I would'nt let let any dirt get on the primed surface but once it's been primed you can glue the fitting anytime. Good luck, Tom

Jan 22, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Thanks! You must be talented... not only speedy, but knowledgeable too!
    mikneygrahm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
    The purpose of the primer given by speedball1 is not correct. I've used cPVC for many years. I'm also an engineer.

The primer is used to pre-soften the cPVC plastic. The glue or cement is really not a glue at all. Doesn't work by gluing,it works by welding. It is a "solvent Weld". That means the cement actually returns the surface of the cPVC back to a liquid. The two pieces literally mix their molecules together and then set back to a solid.

For cPVC you MUST use cPVC cement because the first "C" means the PVC has been chlorinated. Regular PVC cement will draw the chlorine and weaken the pipe or whatever, especially at higher temperatures.

The PRIMER is a very low viscousity(thin) liquid used to penetrate the plastic. It is true that often as the surface is softened you can take a rag and "Clean" the surface. As you wipe, some of the plastic will wipe off and along with it some dirt.

The cement itself (usually orange in color) is more viscous and stays put on the surface longer, and its solvent evaporates more slowly. But it does not penetrate the plastic as deeply as the primer does. So, first you soften the plastic with PRIMER then coat with CEMENT(pieces can still be wet with primer). Coat both the male and the female(often called the "bell").

The "shine" of the plastic does not matter because you are not glueing.

Even though the cement may be still wet after one minute or so after welding, the joint will have achieved about 85% of its strength.

So, to answer your question about 1 part vs 2 part solvent welding. The one part solution compromises both the primer and the cement phases. It will work but not as well.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2009, 01:06 PM
    When you're right you're right! Mickey piggbacked on a 2 year old thread but he's right and I was wrong. I was always taught it was the glaze that you wanted off the plastic. Although I've always used primer on PVC I used it for the wrong reason.
    Thanks for setting things straight Mickey. Tom
    luke316j Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 08:47 PM
    So glad I had the same question and for the people on here thank u for not getting mad and nasty with each other instead we learned a little bit lol :)
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Hi Luke and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You piggybacked on an a 4 year old dead thread. In the future, before you post, look in the upper left hand corner for the date.
    Glad you're question got answered, Stop in any time. Tom
    apgupta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
    Mr. Grahm, you have answered it precisely. Can you please suggest what is the formulation of CPVC adhesive.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2012, 09:20 AM
    Why would you want the formula for CPVC? Do you plan on brewing some up to save a buck? I guess you'd have to contact the factory for that informjtion.
    Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
    I'm afraid Mr Grahm won't be returning to answer your question as he only posted once in 2009 (see above).

The MSDS sheet is the best we can do, apgupta

Check it out @:

http://www.herchem.com/msds/MSDS61_CPVC_cem.pdf

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pvc vs cpvc [ 14 Answers ]

I am looking to replace old metal underground fittings and valves supplying water to my house. The main supply line to the house after the water meter is 1" metal, which branches off with four 1" x 1" x 3/4" T's. I attempted to find a manifold to replace all of the fittings but no luck, so I...

Copper vs CPVC [ 4 Answers ]

What are the positives and negatives in using cpvc instead of using copper except for price

CPVC vs copper [ 17 Answers ]

To me, CPVC sure seems easier. Just a simple glue process. Copper however, needs to be soldered. If I'm running water for a bathroom, why SHOULDN'T I use CPVC? Am I not allowed to put it enclosed in a wall? I have no experience with copper pipes, but having experience soldering electrical...

CPVC Couplings [ 7 Answers ]

I am looking for a cpvc coupling that does not have a stop. Perhaps my local Lowe's just does not stock it, but it seems like a pretty normal item? They do stock one with a stop, but not without. Well, I am a pretty novice plumber but have done a few DIY repairs around the house. Perhaps I...

Cpvc [ 3 Answers ]

ortmanprop Newbie Join Date: Sep 2005 Posts: 0 Using CPVC -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HI,

View more questions Search