Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unhandymanny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Leaky shower knob, and leaky shower faucet.
    I have two separate issues. The first issue I have is when the shower is knobs are turned on they leak from behind the knob (?) making one stream of really hot water dripping on my foot, and a stream of ice cold dripping on the other. How can I fix this?
    My second issue is when off my faucet continues to drip, I have replaced, handles, stems, gaskets, seats etc. Once I replaced them the leak was fixed for awhile, then a couple months later it started again. I checked and the gasket at the end of the cold water stem was missing (I have no idea where it went), so I replaced it, and it stopped leaking again. It's been two months and now it's leaking again, what am I doing wrong?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 23, 2010, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    The first issue I have is when the shower is knobs are turned on they leak from behind the knob
    Sounds like a bonnet packing nut leak to me. Easy fix! Remove the knob and cover if there is one, The upper most nut on the stem is the bonnet packing nut.(see image)
    Now open the valve a little until it begins to leak. Snug the nut up until the leak quits. STOP!! Do not overtighten. Leak better now?
    My second issue is when off my faucet continues to drip, I have replaced, handles, stems, gaskets, seats etc. Once I replaced them the leak was fixed for awhile, then a couple months later it started again. I checked and the gasket at the end of the cold water stem was missing (I have no idea where it went), so I replaced it, and it stopped leaking again. It's been two months and now it's leaking again, what am I doing wrong?
    I think the fault is in the seats. It sounds like they're tearing up your washer, Take your finger nail or a small knife and feel around the seats. Any rough spots or nicks? Let me know, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a leaky shower drain on a basement floor. The shower is about 35 years old. [ 1 Answers ]

It looks like the drain pipe is soldered in and I suspect the gasket on the underside of the shower pan is leaking. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

How do I fix a leaky KOHLER single handle shower faucet [ 0 Answers ]

I have a kohler model K-T397-4 single shower handle that leaks. The water is dripping at the shower head down onto the handle below. What's the proper procedure to trace it down, and or fix it. Thank you.

Leaky Shower [ 1 Answers ]

I read a number of "answers" on this topic, but none seem to cover my type of drain installation. BTW - Tom (speedball1) had a number of nice explanations. First of all, it is my 2nd floor shower drain that is leaking, as there is discoloration on the drywall ceiling directly below the drain (in...

Leaky Shower Bad Grout or Leaky Shower Pan [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought a townhouse that had the upstairs bathroom redone completely with a walk it tile shower. I have been there a year and recently noticed that the grout is slightly cracked around the base (floor and walls). I have also noticed mold that I have sprayed in the grout (Since leaving...

Leaky shower faucet [ 6 Answers ]

Delta faucet had a constant drip,I changed the diverter,the seats and springs and reassembled,good news the drip is gone ,bad news is now it is leakingfrom theback of the mixer valve, any sugesstions

View more questions Search