Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwhite72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Pit bulls in broward county
    What cities in Broward County have pit bulls banned? I need to know due to my daughter being attaked by one and now has to have plastic surgery to correct the damage this dog did to her face. Why would anyone want this kind of dog? And no she did not provoke the dog.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 09:43 AM

I know I am going to get my wrist slapped for replying to this post here, as I have no idea about the laws in that County, but how do you know it is was a Pit Bull? Not all dogs are the same, just as not all humans are the same. What was this dogs living condition?

Were you there when the dog attacked? How do you know he wasn't provoked at any time?

Lots of people own these breeds, and the dogs are loving, loyal, amazing family pets.

If you want to know for sure, you could try contacting the county government directly. Here's a page about their animal-related laws: Broward County - Animal Care

I have checked out the page, and it does look like they have a dangerous dog law, but not a Breed Specific Legislation in place. Unfortunately there there may be some bsl laws in specific municipalities.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 09:50 AM

Apparently that link won't copy for some reason, but here is another one I found:

Humane Society of Broward County - Everything You Want to Know About Pit Bulls

This is a link to the human society in Broward County, and has specific info on BSL and pit bulls living in your community.

Here is another link that talks about pit bull bans in FL.

PitOwner: Service or menace? Pit bulls skirt law by being used as service dogs
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:40 PM

I don't understand your question. Whether the dog is banned or not it appears your daughter has injuries and basis for a lawsuit. I know Dade County has a ban. Call your local Animal Control Officer and ask.

I'm a liability investigator - more than 75% of the cases assigned to me are for German Shepherd and/or pit bites. I get there - I look at the dog. It's neither one. It's a knee jerk reaction by someone.

Why does anyone own a pit? Because they love dogs, they found a pit, they own the pit. They aren't all killing machines.

In order to determine what happened and what the value of the case is I would need more details, including the age of the child.

And I'll throw this in, too - the VAST majority of the bites I investigate are caused by Labs. Why? Possibly because they are very inbred. Possibly because there are a lot of them. Possibly because if you don't know what breed your dog is you put down "Lab."

And I have also seen people get around the pit ban by listing their dog as a boxer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 02:44 PM

AuroraBell, I've posted this before - I had a beautiful yellow Lab (he owned my heart, still miss him), a British "blockhead." My Vet (at the time) refused to treat him because he doesn't "believe" people should own pits.

How can a VET not recognize an AKC yellow Lab - with papers?

I'm sure people try to scam the system. I wasn't one of them but I was... shocked.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 05:08 PM

Wow, I couldn't imagine a Vet being so closed minded. Not saying that all vets are animal lovers. How very petty and un professional of him to not treat a specific breed. Even if his theory was justified (which In my opinion, it's NOT), why punish the dog?

Just goes to show you how ignorant some people are. Poor dog.

Hijacking done :)
    Lplachter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 12:49 PM
    I am a proud Pit Bull owner and an advocate for them as well! I would love love love to know how u know it was a "Pit Bull" that attacked your daughter!? I have a 10 month old daughter and my dog LOVES her!! I am sick and tired of everybody bashing the breed get a freaking life!! You people make me SICK!! Also Aurora that is disgusting and I would have went to another vet! I can do whatever I want to my dog and she will not react in any vicious matter... Whoever is Anti-Pit Bulls you need your damn head examined because you are a sick individual. Why the hell would you want Genocide against a dog that's crazy... I mean this with everything GO SCREW YOURSELVES!
    mwhite72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
    I know it was a pit because my daughter who is 19 knows what they look like. It was a female red nose pit. My daughter is 19 and is missing half her top lip thank you. I hope that never happens to your daughter, then maybe you might just see where I am coming from. You being the closed minded person that you are being makes me sick. People like you should not even own animals. You might be able to do whatever you can to the dog but have a friend come over and try it, it probably would not go over well. Needless to say I am over $10,000 in debt with medical bills over this. I am a single mother trying to raise 2 girls and now this. I did get an attorney and the County did go after the owner who now has to have the dog muzzled and is facing 3 violations. This is not a laughing matter, but apparently you think it is funny or a joke. My daughter is still beautiful and I tell her that everyday in spite of her facial deformaty that she has to live with everyday. So Lplachter how about you get a grip on life there. I am just hoping this doesn't have to happen to anyone else and ruin their lives like it has done to her.
    Dogs Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 02:19 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that this happened to your daughter. I agree it is no laughing matter. A lot of people mistake pit bulls. There was a story here about a man who was viciously attacked by a "pit bull", he demanded that the dog be put down (as it should have been), the news blew up the story about another vicious pit bull attack. When animal control went to get the dog it turned out to be a dalmatian. But people still had it in their heads it was a pit bull.

Here is an interesting link, take a look.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2010, 05:15 PM

I'm very sorry that happened to your daughter, but I really don't like the comment of why someone would own these dogs.

A friend of mine in elementary school was attacked by a black labrador retriever. She lost the upper part of her lip and her ear, and has permanent nerve damage in her face.
    You don't see me wondering why anyone would ever want to own a lab.
    Dogs Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 05:51 PM

I almost lost my thumb to a Cocker Spaniel. I had to get 28 stitches. He also bit my lip, luckily I only needed two stitches. I have fostered a few Cocker Spaniels since. I don't hate the breed, I hate what the owners/breeders did to these dogs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pit bulls [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I am moving to Florida, all pit bullls igeal in ALL citys or just some of them??

Pit bulls [ 7 Answers ]

Are pit bulls illegal in the state of Ga? My neighbor just got a pit bull boxer mix and they have it fenced up with chicken wire. I live in the country in a mini sub division. I have an older dog and a mini pom. I also have 3 small children that I am afraid to let them outside. I asked her if...

Pit Bulls and insurance [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has a pit bull. In our city they require insurance on one now. Does anyone know of a company in Ohio that will give my duaghter renters insurance and a rider for a pit bull?

Pit bulls [ 8 Answers ]

What should we do 2 stop the banning of pit bulls?

Pit Bulls are pests! [ 101 Answers ]

To me the pit bulls are pests. I can't walk down an alley without worrying about getting bitten. When I see anything resembling a pit bull on a leash I am forced to take evasive action. In my opinion, they should be bred out of existence. Why aren't they?

View more questions Search