Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NoVA_Agent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 07:08 AM
    Should my central AC compressor turn on when the furnace heat comes on?
    I just noticed that when my furnace comes on to heat the house, the outside central AC compressor fan comes on. I thought that the central AC compressor was not used while the furnace provides heat, just the air handler is the same? Can anyone advise whether this is true?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2010, 09:09 AM

If your outside unit is a heat pump, then it will come on for heating, unless the thermostat is set to Auxiliary Heat.

If you are not sure if your outside unit is a heat pump, give us the make and model of it so that we can check it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Central AC compressor stays on even after I turn off [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the story... BTW, I know absolutely nothing about Central Air Units, so please bear with me on this -- My AC in my house was running non-stop this past summer-like weekend here in NJ. I have one part of the unit in my attic hanging on brackets from the rafters (is it called the handler?) and...

Central heat won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older Goodman air handler and the central heat won't turn off even when it exceeds the set temp, it will run and run until I turn off the thermostat. The a/c works fine. Any help here? I cvhanged the thermostat and still had the problem. Spoke to a friend who said it may be the sequencer...

When you turn on the central ac heater the ac turns on the compressor comes on [ 2 Answers ]

When you turn the heat on a central ac the ac comes on instead it says heat on the control panel but the ac comes on.

Central heat will not turn on condenser cycling [ 0 Answers ]

a/c works fine. Heat will not turn. Replaced t-stat still the same. Contactors all seem to work when 24v is applied. Condenser cycles. It is a trane heat pump. Thanks for your help

Install new t-stat, fan and heat work but compressor will not turn on? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. I replaced our old turn dial thermostat with a programmable digital thermostat (Honeywell thx6400b). I turned off the breakers for the house prior to opening up the old thermostat, where I found a green, yellow, red and white wire attached. I removed the old t-stat and hooked up the...

View more questions Search