Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JennD24 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 09:29 AM
    How is too long to take the Depo Shot?
    I have been taking the Depo shot for nearly six years and am wondering if this is too long. My gyno is going to check it out, but I wanted to know before April 2007. If anyone knows, I would appreciate you letting me know. Thanks in advance! I have read some horror stories that really scare me. I also would like to know about having a tipped uterus. I have read some things about it, but still am not sure. I just found out I have one. I read it could make you miscarry and all kinds of other scary things. :(
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 09:35 AM
    I can only comment on the depo I'm afraid, I had it for 9 years and was extreamly lucky to have my cycle return after 2 years some women never gain it back thus never have children, but sayng that it affeacts us all differently so don't get yourself wound up about it but its certainly something to be aware of.
    I would wait for your gyno to give you the correct information before jumping to conclussions on others experiences after all my friend became pregnant a month after stopping the shot so don't expect the worst.
    I wish you luck, Laura xx

Feb 7, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Thank you for your response:) I hope you are right. I did get very upset at the fact that my doctor does not really know anything about the shot. Still, he has let me take it for nearly six years. Another thing, he recently told me I had a tilted uterus, but did not tell me side effects or anything of that matter. Maybe, I should change doctors.
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Feb 8, 2007, 12:38 PM
    I was on the DEPO shot for almost 6 yrs. My gynocologist said after 6 yrs he was going to take me off it for a "break" He said you should not be on it consitantly for longer then 7 yrs without a break. As I am sure you read with all the side effects besides what was already mentioned above was also bone marror deficientcy... if I am saying that right. And sometimes longer to get pregnant if you even do as it says above also. I want another child in a year or two, I have been on the pill for about a year now. Doing great. I got my normal cycle back within months after getting off depo, yes I felt that I was bleeding forever. But it eventually straightened out. I am doing great.. So I wouldn't think that absolute worse neither.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Feb 9, 2007, 11:32 AM
    I would wait for answers from your doctor about the depo. Every woman is different on depo. I, too have a tilted uterus. Many women have this. My doc said it is fairly normal. It can make it a smidge more difficult to become pregnant, but once you are it will straiten out as the uterus expands. After the pregnancy it will go back to it's "tilted" position. My sister-in-law also has this, and she has two healthy children!
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie25
    I was on the DEPO shot for almost 6 yrs. My gynocologist said after 6 yrs he was going to take me off of it for a "break" He said you should not be on it consitantly for longer then 7 yrs without a break. As I am sure you read with all the side effects besides what was already mentioned above was also bone marror deficientcy...if I am saying that right. And sometimes longer to get pregnant if you even do as it says above also. I want another child in a year or two, I have been on the pill for about a year now. Doing great. I got my normal cycle back within months after getting off depo, yes I felt that I was bleeding forever. but it eventually straightened out. I am doing great..So I wouldnt think that absolute worse neither.
    Nice answer it's a great shame though that dr's do not give the full facts when they recommend the shot/jab its caused many arguments over the years I stopped it nearly 5 years ago and my bodys never been right since NO ONE ever told me you should not be having this they just kept right on sticking that needle in every three months.
    Do a search on msn groups there's a huge depo group and its amazing. As I said before good luck xx
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Feb 16, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Sorry to take so long getting back to you, I've been out of town for a week. Anyway, to answer your question... my sister-in-law did have complications during her pregnancy, but it was due to things other than tilted uterus. She just has trouble being pregnant. She had absolutely no problems during pregnancy or delivery due to her uterus. Actually, once she went into active labor (she had to be induced due to the other complications) she delivered in about 4 hours! If you have any other questions call your doc and ask, but don't worry about having a tilted uterus. It is very normal! Hope this helps

Feb 18, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Thank you for getting back to me on that. That was very useful information. I now feel I, too, will be okay.
    lilgirlchelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 06:42 PM
    I have been on depo for nearly 5 years now and the spotting has recently become out of control, during my last 3-month cycle, I didn't experience any apotting, but now it has been occurring for about 3 weeks now off and on, I think that over time your body becomes tolerant to the medication and handles business as usual, this scares me about the possibility of pregnancy, I want mote kids but I am not ready yet so this is not a short-term goal at the present time, I am thinking about changing to the patch, I am aware of the implications and risks and compared to other birth control methods, it is second place to depo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding during sex... after depo shot [ 12 Answers ]

I have had bleeding during intercourse 2 times since going off depo provera, (which stopped my periods for over 2 years)... most of the time I don't bleed... but what could this mean? Is it a start of my periods return after depo? Or an infection non related to the drug? If you have taken this drug...

Depo Shot [ 18 Answers ]

I just started the depo shot about 5 days ago... so far all I have heard about it is horror stories... I am glad to report that so far I haven't had any side affects... only a little more sensitive... but then again it hasn't even been a week yet... I kind of just got on it with out asking any...

When will I get my period after going off the Depo Vera Shot ? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Amy. My next due date for my shot is Jan. 17th. But I am not getting it anymore due to my body feeling uncomfortable, I was gaining weight, always felt bloated and I read somewhere that if you have depression you shouldn't be on it, which I do and take Zoloft for it. I was only on...

Could this be caused by the Depo shot? [ 2 Answers ]

Can somebody help me? I got the Depo shot for the first time in November for the first time. Since about a month after I have had nothing but problems like I have been bleeding more regular than usual menstrual periods last, itchiness down there, burns to pea, back pain, my breasts have been...

The depo birthcontrol shot [ 2 Answers ]

I've been on the depo shot for six months and I was suppose to go back sept 29,2006 for my third shot but I did not go on the 29th when my shot was due I had cramps in my lower stomach area and I was bleeding but not heavy I'm I trying to start my periode so soon or what.:eek:

View more questions Search