Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mypeanut Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 12:21 PM
    When is it too cold for a Rabbit to be outside?
    We are new to owning a rabbit. Our rabbit is about 8 Months Old and lives in a hutch on our deck. We are concerned about the temperature dropping tonight. We have another cage that is in our garage and wanted to know when we should move the rabbit into the garage. We
    Live in Delaware.
    We appreciate any advice.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
    I would or you might find the poor little thing a bit stiff one morning they don't do to well in the cold and wind.

Jan 17, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    I would or you might find the poor lil thing a bit stiff one morning they dont do to well in the cold and wind.
    Thank you for your suggestion. We have seen rabbits out all winter here but where not sure when it would be better for them to be indoors. We can't have the rabbit in our house because we have 4 cats. Thought the garage would be OK since it is insulated.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Im sure it would be a lot happier in the garage, we used to have to keep ours in a shed at night as there were fox's around us and they are evil when it comes to rabbits.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2007, 01:45 PM
    What a hare raising problem! (Sorry I couldn't resist) :D

I think a lot depends on the breed of rabbit and the amount of fur it has. Some rabbits are bred to endure a snowy winter. Others may just keep to their warren. But an open cage is probably not the best place in cold weather. If its too cold for you, its probably too cold for Bugs.

Jan 17, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What a hare raising problem! (Sorry I couldn't resist) :D

I think a lot depends on the breed of rabbit and the amount of fur it has. Some rabbits are bred to endure a snowy winter. Others may just keep to their warren. But an open cage is probably not the best place in cold weather. If its too cold for you, its probably too cold for Bugs.
    We got the rabbit from friends of ours that have a farm. They had a litter of rabbits that they were trying to finds homes for. The rabbit is a sandy color, looks identical to the rabbits that run wild in our development. The original owners had the rabbits in outside cages. Our rabbit is the calmest rabbit I have ever seen.
    loplady2003 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Hi there, Most rabbits do well in cold weather. The important thing is to make sure they have a shelter to get out of any wind and make sure they have available drinking water. The metal spouts on bottles tend to freeze quickly, so sometimes replaceing it with a hard plastic dish and thunking ice out and refilling several time a day works better in winter. They will not eat enough to maintain a good body weight and stay warm without pleanty of water. Putting the cage in the garage will not hurt, but make sure there is pleanty of ventilation and beware of too much exhaust fumes(open door when starting vehilcle)
    Also a teaspoon per gallon of salt will keep water from freezing so fast and not hurt bunny.
    The real ememy of rabbits is heat. They ventilate with those big ears, but make sure they have shade this summer, and a frozen pop bottle of water to lay against help them stay cool on reallly hot days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbit OK outside? [ 24 Answers ]

Our family got a Lop Ear Rabbit. She is 11 weeks old. She's not tiny by any means. I am allergic to her. I was planning to keep her in a cage inside, but now I can not do that. Is it OK to put her outside in a cage? Protected from the rain. The cage does have a roof. I'm just worried about the heat...

Rabbit control [ 3 Answers ]

Is there some way to control rabbits from eating whatever they want? I've thought of trapping, but that may be endless. Thanks, Jach

My rabbit [ 2 Answers ]

Heya again , My rabbit isn't to calm she likes to jump about and nibble but if I waned to make her calmer how do I do that and how do I stop her from niping

My rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

;) hello, My rabbit is called dillie dolli and she won't let me put my hand in her cage. She lunges for my hand and it's the same when I am feeding her . What shall I do ? Also can I cliker train her to do stuff. :rolleyes: Thank you Tiny Rue:cool:

View more questions Search