Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JASON10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 06:14 AM
    2002 Chevy Impala Passlock Issue (Car won't start)
    I am pretty sure that my 2002 is having Passlock issues. The car will not turn over but the lights and radio are working properly. The car was working fine the day before. I also notice that the battery and security lights are blinking back and forth after I try to start the car. After researching this issue online, I see that many people are having this problem but what I am not seeing is how to fix (or bypass) the problem. I am looking for steps on how to solve this issue. Thank you.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 06:26 AM

In situations, where the engine doesn't start, begin with the basics:

. Remove and fully charge/replace the battery, recording any radio codes first. Most auto parts stores will test and charge batteries for free.

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Be thorough, since it will save a lot of time and money.
    JASON10 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 06:56 AM

I know what the issue is. It is the passlock. Do you know any steps to Bypass the passlock. Please advise...

-JASON 10
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 06:59 AM

No.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Oct 29, 2009, 01:54 PM

Passlock is easy enough to fix. And Tx is right, no way to bypass it.

Here are some trouble shooting and repair articles

How Passlock works

Diagnosing and fixing GM anti-theft systems

GM anti-theft systems
    impalacrap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Bypass kit from canadian tire
    Thisismyanswer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2011, 12:31 PM
    I have a temporary/permanent fix for the impala vehicle with no crank problems. I've been plagued by my car not cranking yet all the lights, electronics work although my car would not even attempt to make a sound to start when I attempted to start the car. I checked dozens of sites to help me figure out the problem from the battery, to the ignition switch, to the passkey etc etc etc. I'm not a skilled mechanic nor am I a novice yet all the sites were so helpful I finally narrowed it down to the anti theft system being the primary concern. Before you attempt to start spending money on your vehicle or start modifying your vehicle for a bypass push starter or doing any other unnecessary things I had to read others had to endure. Check that little light that blinks under your steering wheel when you set your car alarm and follow these simple steps.

First: Unlock your car, turn your car alarm off and get in as usual like any other day.
    Second: Sit down and turn your car to the on position without attempting to crank your engine.
    Third: Look at that little light and curse at it.
    Fourth: Push that light, because it's also a button.
    Fifth: Crank your car, start it.
    Sixth: Drive like the ****ens around the block screaming out your window! "I FIXED IT, I FIXED IT!"

If your car is setup differently when it comes to your anti theft system, I'm sorry but I can't help you other then to say to check your car for a switch that is similar in any way. I didn't come to realize that the anti theft system was at fault till I checked the battery and cables. Every time the car lost power, thus I replaced the cables to the battery, the anti theft system was reset and the car would start again. I would say to check your car the same way, by disconnecting the battery thus replacing everything and attempt to start the car. If the car starts and you can't find the anti theft switch. It's your anti theft at fault and you now know to start attempting to look at the cars anti theft system accordingly. Good luck!
    jaygidd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2012, 09:38 PM
    Just wanted you to know I followed your easy steps and it really did work, I think it was the cursing, though. But thanks my cr has been down for 3 days and I'm broke, and it was that simple. I thought it was the starter or alternator I already changed the battery

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 chevy venture won't start [ 3 Answers ]

Kids ran the van out of gas, then I put gas in it , still won't start. Try starting till battery went dead can't figure out how to jump it either. Is there a fuel shut off switch . Help mom with 7 kids can't get to work

04 chevy impala [ 2 Answers ]

What does the security light on the dashboard mean?

1969 chevy impala [ 1 Answers ]

:rolleyes: how do you gauge points set 350 motor

View more questions Search