Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gary purdy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Ficus nitida (Indian Laurel) frost damage
    I have 3 ficus nitida trees in my back yard that have suffered heavy frost damage. The trees are 8 years old and have always been lush & green. The crazy recent weather here in Phoenix really has my trees looking very, very bad. All the leaves have turned a horrible purple-brown color and are starting to drop already. What I am wondering is does anyone know if these trees will survive of if they will die? The lowest temps they were exposed to was about 25 for 2 or 3 nights but those 3 nights really have done a job on them!
    Thank You gary in Scottsdale AZ
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jan 17, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Hi Gary,
    I'm not terribly knowledgeable in this area, but what I was able to find out online -- 25 degrees appears to be the hardiness cut-off for this plant in your zone, as well as seemingly about the lowest temperature these trees will tolerate. It is normal for them to lose leaves after a hard frost. And they are only particularly vulnerable when newly planted.
    Given their age, and thus likely well established root system, in the absence of any more unusually cold weather this winter, I would suspect there is a reasonable chance they will probably bounce back eventually. Though being an evergreen, hopefully all the leaves will not be lost.
    Hopefully someone knowledgeable can tell you more.
    Best of luck with them. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ficus tree [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6' ficus that was recently given to me as a gift. Upon further inspection, I found that it has a dry black mold over most of the leaves and parts of the branches. I need to find out if, in the long run, this will be damaging to the plant. The mold is easily removed by taking a damp...

Ficus Tree not growing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my Ficus tree has been the same size as when I bought it 2 years ago. I appears healthy and I keep it in the same place. It just doesn't seem to get any fuller or bigger. Please tell me what I can do to help it along. Thanks

Ficus Tree [ 1 Answers ]

My ficus tree is weak and has lost the majority of its leaves. I'm trying to doctor it back to health. It is not over-watered, currently in indirect sunlight. It has no sappy discharge, mold, mites, etc. I have a perfectly healthy ficus but need advise on how to revive it back to health. ...

Frost removal [ 1 Answers ]

I accidentally washed part of the sandy/frosting stuff off the globes from our overhead light fixtures. I was able to completely remove it from one of them but the other two are being more stubborn. What might I use to more easliy remove this stuff from the others?

A/C leaking and Frost at Line's Top and Bottom [ 5 Answers ]

Noticed last night that hardly any air is coming out of vents, so when I checked unit, I noticed water on the floor. Felt the line and had Frost at top and bottom. Then took out air filter and stuck hand inside and felt a drip. Any suggestions on where to start?

View more questions Search