Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AMoore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Phone jack stop working
    Anyone have any idea why a phone jack would stop working? For a couple of days, there was a lot of static on the line but it worked. To remedy that problem, I tried unplugging and replugging the phone a number of times. Then I got no dial tone at all. I tested the phone at another phone jack in the house and it worked, then tried a different phone in the original jack and couldn't get a dial tone. This was all done using the same phone cord. Do you think just replacing the jack will take care of it, or is there a chance that there is a break in the line somewhere inside the house? Is there a way to check that?
    I did remove the cover of the phone jack and tightened screws (which all seemed to be connected OK).
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Somewhere between the terminal and the jack the wire is broken. A possibility is you have mice that were gnawing on it. But, in any case the jack needs to be rewired.
    AMoore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Thanks for your quick response. However, I'm confused. If the wire is broken between the terminal and the jack, will it do any good to rewire the jack? Where is the terminal -- where the phone line comes into the house? (We have 3 cats and a dog, so I doubt we have mice.)
    A
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 10:31 AM
    I would carefully check the connections both in that box, and any others. You may have to go the system interface box, often outside. If you can identify and disconnect the cable feeding that jack, twist the red and green wires together, and the black and yellow. Then check each pair at the other end for conductivity. If the yellow and black are continuos, but not the red and green, you can swap them as long as you are only using a single line. The yellow and black is normally only used for a second line.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2007, 10:44 AM
    By rewiring the jack I meant running a wire from the terminal to the jack. And yes, the terminal is where the line comes into the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to rewire a phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that...

Rj 31X phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought aRJ 31X phone jack which is supposed to allow my father in laws life line system to dial out even if his phone is off the hook. I need help hooking this into the existing phone line.

Rewiring a phone jack [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know how to rewire a phone jack? It's in my den but it's a different line/number than the one I use in the rest of the house. I want to put my computer/DSL/fax/answering machine in that room without running an extension phone cord across the floor and down the hallway. The phone...

Phone jack wiring [ 7 Answers ]

How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?

Rewiring a phone jack [ 2 Answers ]

I wired our phone lines 10 years ago so that I could have 2 phone lines. Now I am having a third line added. How do I rewire an existing phone line for the third line. I just want to replace an existing fax/computer line with a dedicated computer line. I only need to do the one outlet next to...

View more questions Search