Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teespaddler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 04:01 PM
    I get a high pitched noise from my water pipes when the water is off?
    It stops when I turn on any tap in the house (Hot or cold) or flush the toilet. The noise starts at random at any time, then stops and starts randomly. Until I turn on a tap then it goes quiet for a few minutes. Any ideas?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Could be a bad pressure regulator. Turning on the water reduces the pressure until it builds up again. Sometimes a leaking toilet fill valve will do that. Turn off the water to each toilet and see if it stops the noise.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2010, 07:43 PM

Do as Ma0641 says, Also get a water pressre test gauge see the image and check your water pressure, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

teespaddler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 05:03 AM
    Thanks for the support
    It is a faulty ball valve in the toilet cistern.

Water seeps past until it gets to a certain level then...
    The noise resonates through the pipes

Now to fix it. At least I have not had to do each tap washer one by one as a process of elimnination
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2010, 05:42 AM

Glade you found the problem, Thanks form the update. It helps us tom answer other questions, Cheers, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2010, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the update.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise in water pipes when water is running [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever we flush the toilet, take a shower, or run the washing machine we hear a humming sound coming from the pipes while the water is running. Once the water is turned off the humming stops. This just started a week or so ago when I did a load of laundry on the hot setting. We have tried turning...

Humming noise in water pipes when water is shut off. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old house and whenever water is shut off from the shower, sinks, washers or fridge ice maker I get a high pitched humming noise that lasts about 5 seconds. I have a Manibloc Manifold and PEX lines feeding the before mentioned items, could the Manibloc be leaking and causing the...

Banging noise in hot water pipes - water running or not [ 2 Answers ]

What could cause banging noise in hot water pipe lines whether the water is running or not? The noise happens when the hot water is turned ON wherever in a two level house. The banging noise also happens when NO faucet is running. We have installed an expansion tank above the gas water...

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

High pitched squeal coming from hot water tap in shower [ 1 Answers ]

Just recently a loud, high pitched squeal has started in the hot water tap of my shower. If I play around with the tap it will stop (but most of the time start again). Any idea on what the problem is and how I can fix it?

View more questions Search