Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Foilage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 04:10 AM
    Stone header for doorway
    I am replacing an old doorway header in an old brick house that was wood, I would like to replace it with limestone if possible to match the windows on the house. The brick above was re-pointed in the early 80's but what was behind the old porch was not ,so I have a gap above the door- about three course of brick- HELP-
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2010, 05:00 AM
    So you are saying the area above the door,the space that has the gap,was actually wood,which supported the bricks above?

Was there wood inside the frame of the home supporting the interior walls also? Separate from this outer lintel?

You can replace this opening with limestone facing.

My brick layer used a stainless steel bracket,it had an L-shaped base with hole to attach the unit to the wood wall/header,then there are different lengths of these, depending on the thickness of the stone to be installed.the end of the bracket turned 90 degrees and the mason would grind out a slot for the bracket to sit into the stone.

This method he used for at least 7 different window/door openings for the village hall here where I live, 9 years ago.None have failed.

I just ran across one of the brackets in the last few days,I can post a pic(if I can get it to load) and you can see what it is I am describing.*Note:The system will not allow for the close up image,too many kb?, can't see how,anyway, you can get these brackets or similar ones from any stone yard/brickyard,etc.

Hope this helps:)

KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I need to lay flag stone on a stove Hearth over cement board 1 in. Stone [ 1 Answers ]

I'am building a 20sq. ft. raised hearth for a woodstove. I put down 3/4 plywood. I'am going to put down cement board for fire code. What do I need to lay 1 in. flagstone over this./ mortor mix/ sand?

Doorway Header Construction [ 1 Answers ]

I am placing a 42" header in the bearing wall in the basement of my 1 story ranch home. House was built in the early 1960's in Minneapolis, MN area. The house has 2x4 stud wall down the centerline of the house as as the main bearing wall. There was a 30" doorway with a double 2x6 header. I am...

Outlet distance to Doorway [ 1 Answers ]

How close can an outlet (either 15 or 20 amp circuit) be to a doorway or room opening? Thanks, LL

Construction of doorway [ 2 Answers ]

Good afternoon, I plan on opening a doorway from 32" to possibly 48" opening if I nail 2 2x10's together sandwiched with a piece of plywood, or OSB would that allow me the span support, or is that not enough, or overkill. From my days calculating and building I say yes that should do it,...

Radius for Arched Doorway [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to properly lay out an arched doorway and can not seem to get this... what I do know is as follows.. the two side walls are 8'9" from the floor to the bottom point of the arch...from a center point between these two vertical lines taking a vertical measurement from the horizontal...

View more questions Search