Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angeluv11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Does an arrest w/ no conviction show in FBI Fingerprinting?
    I was arrested about 6 months ago and was fingerprinted and booked. Fortunately, when I showed up for my 1st court date, the D.A. advised me that the case/charges had been dismissed. BUT they did say that there was a one-year time frame during which the case could be opened up again. I've called the since, to make sure that I don't have a criminal record for this, and they assured me that since there was no conviction, it shouldn't show up in a background check...
    Now, I have to do FBI fingerprinting for a potential employer. It is for a credit union, and I know they have strict rules. Will this arrest show up on my FBI fingerprinting results? And how long do the results normally take to return?

And one last question - do infraction convictions (non-traffic) also show up on the FBI fingerprinting even if you were never fingerprinted or booked for the arrest?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Ok, first there is a large differce between fingerprint records and the national criminal records.

Anyone fingerprinted and the records they send in, if that is a school teacher or a boyscout leader for a background check, their fingerprints are added to the record and remain there forever, so your fingerprints are on file as a data base forever, that is not a criminal record, it is merely a ID of who you are and your fingerprints.

Criminal records are keep on both state records and on national data bases called a NCIC system. The public will never see arrest only or explunged or where you are found not guilty. All the public sees is records of concitions. So the credt union will not see on a standard background search that you were just arrested and dismissed.

But these records are available to police and national security searches.

So please you are confusing two completely separate systems, while they can work together if you are running a check on a criminal by his fingerprints, that checks his ID and then runs that ID against the NCIC records.

But FBI fingerprints only shows fingerpints and the name and ID of that fingerprint, nothing else, then that ID would have to be run in either a state or national criminal data base.

So no, if you were not fingerprinted, they will not show up in a fingerprint file, how could they, there are no fingerprints, the fingerprint file only shows fingerprint to compare other fingerprints to.

Now yes in the NCIC data base, any and all convictions will show up.

So basically you are trying to merely combine two separate systems.
    gobrowns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Is this still the policy... Arrest w/o conviction will not show to the public?
    ariahariah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 08:53 PM
    I was arrested but not convicted will this show up on my backround or a criminal background check

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do arrests show up on LIVESCAN fingerprinting? [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested two years ago for getting into a physical fight with an ex-boyfriend. I had to stay in jail for a few days but then I was released with NO conviction. I want to get a livescan fingerprinting, but I am wondering if this arrest will show up? I don't want this to hurt my chances of...

Fingerprinting by FBI for adoption [ 6 Answers ]

If there is an arrest for Theft by Taking, but no conviction, does one need to get the record expunged? If the record is expunged, wiil the information that is pulled up by fingerprinting for adoption look any different than if it was not expunged? Is it assumed that if a fingerprint number...

Resisting arrest [ 4 Answers ]

Is resisting arrest a felony

Will arrest show up on Criminal Record? [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested a week ago by my daughter-in-law on domestic charges. Her 'statement' was incorrect and she 'embellished' things and the police found evidence to arrest me. It was devastating to say the least - considering the kids (with their baby) lived with my husband and I and we paid for...

Backround checks and Fingerprinting [ 2 Answers ]

I was just hired for a job as a Adult Care Program Aide. I start on Monday-12/04/06. They had me go to a place that took my fingerprints and they will also do a backround check. I am 63 years old and back around 25 years ago I got into trouble with a charge about doing something to prevent the...

View more questions Search