Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JaneGirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
    How badly will having black hair dye stripped out damage my hair?
    I recently dyed my naturally dark brown hair a bright black colour, and I am not very pleased with it at all. I know that stripping the colour on my own would seriously damage my hair (something I would like to avoid, as I have just finished growing out/cutting off some very damaged hair), but if I go to a salon to have the colour stripped, how badly will that damage my hair? Is it really that much better for your hair? I won't be ale to afford to go for a couple more weeks yet, will it be too late to have a less damaging procedure by then? Also, I flat iron my hair several times a week, will that "set" the colour and make it more difficult to remove? Sorry if these sound like silly questions, but I honestly don't know.

I'm supposed to start looking for an internship soon so I can graduate from college next year, and I don't want to be going to interviews with roots one colour and lengths another, otherwise I'd just let it grow out and maybe try to minimize the appearance of the new growth. I know that anything will damage my hair further, I'm just afraid of doing too much, as I just finished growing out some hair that had been bleached one too many times, and I don't want to have to deal with that again.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 16, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Bleaching or stripping may result in some level of damage to the cuticle. Depending on a variety of factors, the potential damage can range from slight to severe. If you want to strip your hair, I recommend that you go to a salon to remove the black color from your hair. They have professional hair color removal products that they can use to remove the unwanted color and re-color your hair without causing severe damage. As for your other question, flat irons does not set hair color or make it harder to remove.
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

Jun 9, 2007, 11:06 PM
    It may damage your hair some but it depends on the person and not likely a lot if any. Look at actresses who dye there hair VERY frequently and have very healthy hair. Just don't dye it every week like some people and you should be fine! I have dyed my hair one color and not liked it and went and had it dyed back to the original color and it did absolutely NO damage to my hair. I find that if you get it done in the salon it looks much better and doesn't do any damage but if you do it at home it may be frizzier and have a little damage. That being said when I was younger I decided to let my blonde hair grow out naturally to its dirty brown and it looked so tacky when it got half way out. People kept saying why don't I dye it back blonde or my original color because if you dye it the original color it will grow out and not look noticeable. Anyway I wish that I would have done that because I have tons of pictures that are so ugly of my top part being brown and my bottum being blonde from when I was younger. It also takes a LONG time to grow out also. My recommendation is to go and have it dyed back to the original color and have some tips cut off also and it will not do any damage. I go to a very classy salon and they always recommend when putting color on hair to trim it a little, at least a quarter of an inch and longer if you want and this does protect the hair from damaging. Buy some good quality hair salon shampoo and conditioner, conditioner is very important and your hair should be the same as before you had it dyed. The only concern is with dead hair is people that dye there's constantly and a lot of people do. My mom used to dye her own hair and instead of doing the roots when an inch would grow out she would basically dye her whole hair because she really didn't know what she was doing. Again that being said my mom did this for about a year and her hair STILL has the same texture but I am sure if she would have kept doing it that it would have killed her hair and thinned it also. I have another friend that loves to dye her hair and highlight it different colors often, about 3-4 times a year and her hair is so healthy also, just don't dye it constantly and your hair should be fine!
    SameOldSituation Posts: 66, Reputation: 32

Jun 12, 2007, 12:09 PM
    I've bleached my hair since age 14 (now I am 24) about once every 2-3 months. Never had a problem cuticle-wise (that I can see yet), but it does make the texture of the hair kind of unpleasant. It doesn't matter to me, as I like the bed-head look.

Not sure if "stripping" is the same as bleaching...
    smeg Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Hi, my hair was accidentally dyed half black and brown at a salon. I had to get the black stripped which I was quite worried about as I heard it really damaged your hair however an at home hair dresser used effasor a hair remover on my hair(today actually) and all the black is gone! And my hair is actually in really great condition, I never even had to cut it. However my hair is slighty golden/auburn colour now but easy to dye over. I hope this helps you because I was in the same situation as you but my hair is not damaged at all.
    s4llyc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 08:04 AM
    You could try and fade it naturally first by mixing a twice as much shampoo (a strong one for clarifying hair or getting rid of dandruff) with one part baking powder into a paste, apply this to hair and leave on for around 20 minutes then rinse off well and condition. Wash your hair more frequently, go out in the sun as possible, this should help fade it a bit so you might be able to colour over it or it may even fade ut completely. Hope this helps
    jennifer1013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Hi s4llyc. I was just wondering, do u mean baking powder or baking soda?
    heather mo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Comment on PrettyLady's post
    It helped me a lot
    Myoho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Bicarbonate (baking soda)
    JstJessica Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 02:44 PM

Hey Everyone I really need help too. So does anyone know how I can get my black off so that I can put burgendy as my hair color? I would really appreciate it if someone helps me ASAP.

+ I Can't Afford To Go To A Salon To get It Done... So Please Anyone help... Ok.. I Really Have To get It Done
    lexi29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 01:46 PM
    I dyed my hair black sometime last year and I got sick of it fast. If you use the sunsilk colour products made specifically for red, brown or blonde hair, they work great. It took about a month of using the sunsilk brown colour to get my hair back to a normal colour. They work great and they're like 6 bucks each. I'd recommend it. The pantene brand works pretty well also but it takes a little longer. They're better than bleaching your hair because they actually fix split ends ad dry hair.
    melsky Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2009, 09:33 PM

Whatever you do don't do it gradually with foils! My hairdressers refused to strip my dyed black hair when I asked them to because they said it would do too much damage and now Im left with half orange and half blonde hair that won't go away!!
    dvalery Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 01:28 AM

I stripped my hair 4 times in one day, and my hair is still surprisingly shiny and silky, it didn't damage my hair at all, I used the satin hair color remover kit once and the uncolor system kit 3 times. I guess it just depends wich hair color remover you use and how healthy your hair before you strip it.
    ChloeClarkeee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2010, 08:44 AM

What does hair stripped mean?
    OMGface Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Hi people I really need help to.. Please? I've dyed my hair quite
    A lot it's now black also I bleached parts of my hair but now I really
    Hate it! Does anyone know if it will severely damage my hair to
    Have it stripped (I'm naturally blonde if that matters)??
    Please help :) xx
    rhiannaa16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Hi. I dyed my hair from a white blond to purple and I have dyed it so many times it's falling out but I want to go back to my blond but I'm sceared my hair will all fall out
    md2810 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2011, 02:59 AM
    I colored my hair dark brown with purple highlights and I did it myself. It didn't look bad at all. It was like that for about 2 months. Then I was sick of it and used a box color to color over it all, which was a dark brown. Everywhere that was purple, turned seaweed colored green. It was awful. So I went to the salon, and they colored it a dark dark dark brown but it faded and turned back to green. So I colored it using a dark brown from sallys and it is now black. It has not faded in 4 weeks and I need something done to it. It doesn't even grow fast enough to let it grow out. But I have prom coming up and don't want to damage my hair for the dance. What should I do?!
    SophisticatedQ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 01:48 PM
    The fastest way is to bleach the hair, but depending on your conditioning regimen you may have some damage. The best thing would be to try and tough it out for at least two weeks. Allow your hair time to rebuild and restore. Then try again with achieving the color you desire.
    effiemallington Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
    Can anyone help me? I have died my hair most of my life. My natural colour is blonde, and I have naturally thin hair. I have died my hair lighter blonde, brown, red then back to brown and now red. I am wanting to strip my hair and make it a light brown, but I can't afford to go to a sallon. Any ideas?
    Kat is Awsum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 06:28 AM
    Hey
    I am a natural Red head (slightly darker than strawberry blonde). I have been dying my hair black now for over 2 years, I do my 1-2cm roots regrowth every 2 weeks. I have now developed a nasty skin condition on the back of my neck that I can no longer get rid of so I want to go back to my natural hair colour. I know dying my hair every 2 weeks is really bad and is what has caused this skin problem. I just want to know if its hard to take the black out, will it go back to my natural coulor once done or will I have to tint it to a close shade of red? My haird is down to my waste and don't want to lose too much length if I can avoid it.
    I want to go to a salon but just want some advise so I know what I'm in for... if any one could help it would be appreciated :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Black Hair Dye [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a natural redhead. I have been dying my hair black for a very long time. I finally decided that I'd like to be a redhead again. I used the color fix color remover the other night and it didn't do much. My roots are now my natural color, but the rest is just a lighter shade of black. I'd...

Tired of Black Hair Dye [ 16 Answers ]

I have been dying my hair for 6 years now. I have been every color of the rainbow, bleached and dyed and chopped all the way off. My natural color is a dirty blonde and when I let that grow I ended up dying it again. The only color I never dyed my hair was black until January 1st 2006. Since then I...

How can I get this black hair dye out of my hair? [ 6 Answers ]

Well I dyed my hair black about a month and a half ago with revlon and last night I dyed it with loreal feria but the color only took at the roots and the rest of my hair is still black. I know its probably because, like everyone says 'black hair dye is hard to get out of your hair' but I...

How to remove black hair dye from hair [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi there I am natalie from the uk and wanted to know if there are any home remedies for removing, or really fading black hair dye from hair, I am naturally red and am about to go on holiday next week to the canaries, and did not want red regrowth, so I am wanting a quick and easy...

How do I get my black hair dye out? [ 2 Answers ]

I have had black dye in my hair for about 2 months and I have tried Every thing (or so it seems) please how do I get this mess out?? :confused:

View more questions Search