Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jett1946 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 05:33 PM
    can you paint roof asphalt shingles
    We had a new porch added on front of house (8x6). The roofing shingles they put on are to light compared to the house. Can the new ones be painted darker, so they will blend better with the house roof?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 07:13 PM

Can't paint asphalt shingles, it is not a stable surface. You can try to stain them but it will not last and likely look worst than what you have now. Why did you allow them to use this color shingle?
    jett1946 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Can't paint asphalt shingles, it is not a stable surface. You can try to stain them but it will not last and likely look worst than what you have now. Why did you allow them to use this color shingle??
    We were at work and it was done before we got home. The contractor said they would match the old roof as close as they could. It was dumb on my part to assume that it would be done right. The contractor had already built a new screened porch for us and did an excellent job. Guess we are going to have a heated debate as to the solution.
    kermode Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 01:49 PM
    Should be OK to paint shingles, but make sure to only use latex base.
    toondoggy Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2012, 07:49 AM
    I painted a 3-color design over my whole roof, using regular ol' water-based paint. It still looks great after 7 years. I've found that a "flat" paint works best - anything else gives a slight reflective sheen that doesn't look as good.

I've found that there are too many old geezers out there that will tell you that this or that just can't be done, or it won't work, blah-blah-blah... but when I do whatever it is, it works.

I painted the whole thing with a brush... I tried a roller first, but that was too much trouble holding the tray, etc. One coat of slightly thinned paint will work, but I painted two coats - the first coat with any paint I had around, just to get it covered and seal down the granules on the shingles. Then I took my time and had fun painting my design, shingle at a time, until my masterpiece was done.

Water-based stain would work, too... since it's about the same as thin flat paint.
    Go ahead, have fun... life is short... just DO it.
    OldTownGal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 10:37 AM
    Sure would like to see a picture of the roof you painted! I am seriously contemplating painting our roof also.
    toondoggy Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
    http://www.poptoons.net/craig/paintedroof.jpg

I hope the link I put in shows the picture.

I would have liked to just added it as an attachment, but the info on the FAQ pages don't match what I see on my page - there's no "manage attachments" link under the box. - - I've spent too much time here... I need to go paint something that someone says I can't paint.
    OldTownGal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
    Wow, what an interesting color scheme you chose. Hmmm. Thank you SO much for sharing this ToonDoggy :-)

Happy Painting!
    candyfloss7 Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Aug 1, 2012, 05:27 PM
    Great job on your roof ToonDoggy , we had a guy part repair our roof with shingles that didn't match the rest of the roof ( he did it when we were not there ) anyhow long story short we need to paint the whole roof , glad we found your post to see you did it with ordinary water based paint , we wondered however if the weather climate would effect ordinary Latex paint as to using special roof paint which may have added chemicals to protect against algae etc, we live in North Carolina where it is very hot and humid in summer , we wondered where you live Toon Doggy ? Its marvellous your paint has lasted 7 years .
    ahansome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2013, 06:36 AM
    Sooooo cute Craig!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 11, 2013, 06:43 AM
    My HOA would really live these.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fiberglass vs Asphalt roofing shingles [ 11 Answers ]

Hi About 3 years ago, we hired a good contractor to replace our old IKO asphalt roof shingles, which were starting to show signs of wear and age after 20 years. At that time, our contractor recommended another asphalt shingle made by BP, which have a 30 year warranty. The contractor removed the...

How much to do the labor installing asphalt shingles per square? [ 2 Answers ]

How much should it cost for the labor to install asphalt shingles (right over the old ones) per square?

What can cause asphalt shingles to prematurely lose aggregate? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a house built new in NJ in 1988. Roof is Tamko Heritage multilayer asphalt shingles. I believe that the warranty is 50 yrs. Shingles are over a plywood deck over an attic. Vents in each gable end, plus 2, 10-12" square roof vents. There also is an attic fan set to turn on when the attic...

Does the color of asphalt shingles fade overtime? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I purchased our first home 4 years ago and it was newly built. I noticed the other day that the shingles seem to be slightly lighter than when we first moved in. Do they normally fade over time? You can't really tell that much of a difference if you are looking at them close up, its...

View more questions Search