Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pioneertech Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Does 24 volt AC 40VA meet the need of 24 v. AC & 2amps
    I need a 24 volt AC transformer with 2 amps of power, does a transformer rated at 24 volts AC and 40 VA fit my needs? This for some PTZ cameras from China, and they supplied me with transformers that were suppose to plug into an outlet with 240volts, so I am only getting 14 volts AXC and the cameras don't work.

Thx George
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2010, 05:44 AM

40/24= 1.666 amps. How many and what current are your cameras?
    You will need a 120 volts to 24 volts transformer. If Cameras are in 1 area, 1 larger supply may work.
    If cameras are in different areas, you may want separate supplies to minimize your length of runs and Voltage drop.

Oct 2, 2010, 06:43 AM

The cameras were supposed to run on 24 volts AC with 2 amps of current, but they gave a transformer that had 220 volts stamped it, so when I plugged it in I only got 14 volts ac. I ran 12 volts DC to the camera directly and got a picture, so I know the camera is good. What would you suggest?
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2010, 09:49 AM

1 Large transformer, or a couple small ones.
    I need the above answers first.
    Are they going to be all powered from 1 location?
    What voltage do the cameras require? 12-24 volts AC and DC?

Oct 4, 2010, 04:35 AM

Stratmando: All 3 cameras are powered from one location. The cameeras themselves run on 12volts DC or 24 volts AC. These are PTZ cameras so I do need the 24 volts AC. These are not the normal PTZ cameras you may be thinking of, they are a pan and tilt controller with a box camera positioned in the middle of an array of IR's for night vision purposes. Thx George
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2010, 01:45 PM

They make power supplies for multiple cameras, I Like all my stuff at 12 Volts DC, this allows Battery Backup.
    With AC and a power loss you will lose cameras if you have no inverter. Inverters have loses, Longer time with the same batteries at DC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 24 volt 10 amp water softner- will a 24 volt 20 amp transformer work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 24 volt water softner and do not have the correct transformer. I found a 24 volt 20 amp door bell transformer. My water softner is a 24 volt 10 amp. Will this work, or will it burn the water softner up? Thanks,

20va replaced with 40va [ 1 Answers ]

I have a furnace with a 20 va transformer can I replace it with a 40 va?

Connecting a 240 volt 20 amp duplex outlet on a generator to a 20 amp transfer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older Coleman generator (5 KW) that a 240 Volt duplex outlet 20 AMP. I have a transfer switch rated for 5 KW that has a twist lock connector. How do I make a cord to go from my generator to the transfer switch without having to re-wire my generator? Thanks, Stan

240 volt to 30 amp or 40 amp [ 2 Answers ]

I am connecting a 240 volt convection oven using a double pole 30 amp but the oven heats but never reaches full temp. It's a brand new oven.

Difference between Volt & Wott [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone explain the difference between Volt & Wott with example ? I would be thankful to him/her if anyone can...

View more questions Search