Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lhenwood Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2010, 06:00 PM
    Pressure tank problems??
    I checked the air pressure on the top of my tank and water squirted out. When there is a high demand for water the pump (submersible) clicks on and off rapidly then stops (with no pressure at the tank) for 20 sec or so before coming back on.
    When the pump stops the contact-ors in the switch are touching. It will do this until the demand is gone. I can turn a tap on or have a shower OK , but when the tap/shower is on and someone flushes a toilet it happens. Any help would be appreciated
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2010, 03:42 AM

"i checked the air pressure on the top of my tank and water squirted out."

Typical sign of a ruptured bladder in your pressure tank. It needs to be replaced. As a short term "get by", you can turn off the breaker, drain the tank with an outdoor faucet until pressure is zero and the tank is empty, use an air tank to put 10# or so of pressure in the tank, then turn the breaker back on. Your system will work better, but the problems will return. Replacing the tank is the only permanent solution.
    lhenwood Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 02:34 PM
    Comment on jlisenbe's post
    Thanks. Do you know what causes the bladder to fail?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 10:24 AM

Usually, it is simply age. There are some tanks that the bleach used to "shock" a well can damage.

Thankfully, tanks are not terribly expensive and replacement is fairly simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure tank problems [ 10 Answers ]

I had a drilled well installed at the cottage about 3 years ago. They also installed a submersible pump and a new control switch at the pressure tank. At least a couple of times a year, there is no water coming out of the taps. When I go to look at the pressure tank, I notice that there is no...

With the power turned off to water tank, tank loses pressure fast [ 0 Answers ]

Foot valve has been replaced but now pump won't shut off all the time. When you turn power off tank loses pressure instantly.

Having problems with a 19 gal flotec pressure tank [ 12 Answers ]

I installed a Flotec Pressure Tank in my resident cause the previous tank corroded and start leaking, so I went to Home Depot bought it, installed it. Went by the instruction but the pump that feeds water to the tank won't shut off. I set the PSI at 18 all the way to 25 and I'm still having the...

Pressure Tank problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hand dug well with a jet pump that pulls water from the well and sends to a holding tank. Another pump pulls water from the holding tank to the house under pressure from my well-x-trol pressure tank. (about 15 yrs old) Recently, for the last 3 days I am getting lots of air in my water line...

Do I need to install a jet pump, a pressure tank and a holding tank? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home with nothing but the 1inch well pipe stemed through the cellar wall. My house is not on town supply line. Do I need to install a jet pump that goes to the pressure tank which then sends water ot a holding tank? Or is the pressure tank by itself all that I would need? Or a...

View more questions Search