Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tracyarnold2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 09:24 AM
    How to establish dual state residency
    I own a business in the state of AZ and a branch of that business in the state of CO. My business statutes from both states require me to be a resident in both states if I want to work. I earn monies in both states and I am in AZ for 2 weeks and then in CO for 2 weeks. I cannot actually work in CO when I am there and have to pay someone else to do it. I have everything established in AZ and I am an AZ resident. If when I go to CO (where I rent another home) I would like to work as well and not have to hire someone. It would save me a lot of money if I could do it myself when I am in CO every 2 weeks. Both of these states touch each other. I would like to know how to establish residency in both states. I am aware that it is hard due to voting restrictions. Is there a way to sign something that states that I will only vote in 1 of the states? This seems to be the only restriction that I can see that would keep me from having dual residency. As I stated before I am in each state an equal amount of time. But not for any of the required 90 days straight that each state requires.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyarnold2007 View Post
    ... My business statutes from both states require me to be a resident in both states if I want to work.
    the required 90 days straight that each state requires ...
    Which particular business statutes are they? Something about a specific trade or occupation, I am guessing. If you will give us that detail, I will have a look and see what it says.

...I am aware that it is hard due to voting restrictions. Is there a way to sign something that states that I will only vote in 1 of the states? This seems to be the only restriction that I can see that would keep me from having dual residency. ...
    No, signing something that promises not to try to vote in both places is not going to work.:D
    tracyarnold2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 01:07 PM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    Civil Service of Process
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 06:25 PM

I am also at a loss, I can not think of any business where you could be required to be a resident of that state to work. Every license I can possibly think of allows out of state license
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 08:45 AM

There is no such thing as "dual residency" of two different states. So no - there is nothing you can sign to make that happen.

As the other responders said - please post more details as to what kind of work you do where the state requires you to be a resident. The only example I can think of is some government workers are required to be local residents, but I've never heard of such a thing applying to businesses.
    TLWalk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2014, 06:14 PM
    Actually, there IS such a thing as dual residency. I am a resident of California but am domiciled in Texas.
    Expert

Nov 6, 2014, 07:42 AM
    Actually, there IS such a thing as dual residency. I am a resident of California but am domiciled in Texas.
    No, you are a resident if California. By that, I assume you mean that you are registered to vote there, have a California driver's license, etc.

Domicile is something different. If you are domiciled in Texas, that simply means that at some point, while in Texas, you intended that Texas be your home permanently and, at no time subsequent to that, did you intend to make some other state your permanent home (while you were in that other state).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 6, 2014, 07:44 AM
    Note that TLWalk responded to a 4 year old question.
    Expert

Nov 6, 2014, 07:46 AM
    Civil Service of Process
    I missed this post when OP originally posted it. I assume OP meant that he or she needs to be a resident of the state in order to be a process server in that state. Could be, but without knowing the state there is little more than can be said a this point.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2014, 07:29 PM
    Closed, although, this would have been a good legal discussion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Requirements to establish non-residency in PA [ 2 Answers ]

As of Nov. 2009 have established FL. As legal residence. If in 2009 I have the requisite 6 months 1 day out of PA (which was my former legal residence) can I claim this year that I was a non-resident of PA. as far as paying PA taxes was concerned, or must I wait for 2010?

Most quick fix-establish residency in state mother took child? [ 1 Answers ]

Since Florida has zero to none rights for grandparents and 1/2 pt for father not listed on birth certificate. Should grandparent establish residency in state (AZ) child now resides with mother and pursue grandparents rights? How long does it take to establish residency in AZ before one can pursue?...

Timeframe to move after "Closing" to establish residency? [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to relosate to Florida from a different state. I want to establish residency to qualify for their Homestead Act. How long do they allow me to move in after closing on home ?

Required to re-establish residency before claiming tax treaty as F-1 student? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, This question came up in a previous thread but remained unaswered: (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/visa-switch-j1-f1-undo-claiming-tax-treaty-308508.html#post1649585) I visited the US as a college student in the years 2006, 2007 and 2008 on two different J-1 visa (trainee/...

View more questions Search