Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billr46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 04:34 PM
    Do rabbit ears really work for high def TV without converter box?
    Will rabbit ears really pick up high def local channels on high def TV
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2010, 06:11 PM

First, I want to clear something up that may be confusing you.
    Digital TV and Hi-Def TV are not the same thing!

The small converter boxes that were highly promoted last year allow you to receive a digital (but standard definition) signal and convert it for use with your old analog TV. This is not hi-def, but it is digital. (Hi-def is necessarily digital, but digital does not imply hi-def)

So, if you want to get Hi-def broadcasts, you must have a high-def TV.
    You won't need any converter box, since the TV can receive a digital, hi-def, signal. Just hook up an antenna!

Go to AntennaWeb and enter your address and other info. You'll get a list of stations in your area and what type of antenna you need to receive them. If your stations are indicated with the "yellow" or small multi-directional antenna then your rabbit ears might work.

Most digital broadcasts are UHF (remember the round wire antennas?), so if you have UHF channels in your area, you may need a UHF antenna to pick those up. (If you are super-close to the broadcast antenna, and the RF channel is low -- say below 30 or so -- the regular VHF rabbit ears may work.

It sure won't hurt anything to try the rabbit ears on your digital TV. Note that you'll probably need a matching transformer to attach the rabbit ears to your TV's RF input.

I hope this clears things up.
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot Receive Dolby on Direct TV High Def HDR [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks

Connecting dell insprion 1545 to LCD high def. Tv [ 2 Answers ]

What cord would I need to connect my dell laptop to my lcd high def TV. The plug on the TV for PC cable is there but the only ports on my laptop are usb ports and a somewhat squareish plug with lots of little prongs in it. When I went to the sound, computer and systems store the plugs to connect...

High-Def DVD player [ 1 Answers ]

Okay well my dad got a high def TV a few weeks ago and just wanting to know which DVD players would be compatible with it? Or are blue ray players the only compatible ones??

TV converter box [ 7 Answers ]

I recently hooked up a new converter box to my TV that has an outside antenna. Trying to get ready for next years digital/analog conversion. The picture is great and all was hoooked up correct. However, I get a lot of choppy pictures, where picture seems to break up a lot. Is this in the new...

View more questions Search