Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dominiquej Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Is it against HIPPA if a nurse takes home a patients chart to finish paperwork?
    This is a Home Health Agency. I have heard that a nurse was carrying in a lot of loose papers and a gust of wind came up and blew numerous notes and patient plan of cares all over the place. Someonme found one of these and turned them in. They were fined nearly $20,000.00. Can the Administrator lose her license if she is aware the nurse is taking charts home?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2010, 08:02 PM

There is no problem taking them home, many many doctors, nurses and more work from home.

The violation was not properly taking care of the papers. Why were they not in a case or properly secured
    dominiquej Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2010, 08:42 PM
    So what if she leaves the charts in her car and someone reads the name off the charts? What if someone broke into her car/home and stole the charts? I do understand about working from home. But even when I worked from home, I had a designated office space with locking doors and a locking filing cabinets to protect all pts privacy. I am just very worried some freak thing could happen and I am liable being the administrator. Maybe I am just being over paranoid, but I have to check. Thanks
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Sep 13, 2010, 10:49 AM

What does your agency's HIPAA officer have to say? Your examples are all things that could happen, yes. It does possible a possible security risk. Where I work we cannot take patient information home, even to complete charting. It is done in the office, before we go home. Or come in later to do that.

Is your home health care agency affiliated with a hospital or clinic or state or federal entity? If so, find that compliance officer and ask.

You have a good question.

There is a website from the US Dept of Human Services, even a contact section.
    http://www.cms.gov/
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 13, 2010, 11:48 AM

So the answer is to not people take charts home OR to code your charts so they don't include personal info. If you need to give the people who take work home an encrypted electronic file that translates patient codes.

The key here is as long as due diligence is exercised, HIPAA is not going fine an agency for an accident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is sending an email to all patients to announce the new office address a hippa violat [ 1 Answers ]

Is sending an email to all patients without blind cc to announce the new office address a hippa violation?

Hippa laws regarding addressing patients [ 8 Answers ]

I work in a doctor's office. Under hippa Law, do we address patients by their first or last names?

Preventing nursing home from taking patients house [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is ill and at some point will go to a nursing home. If he signs a quit claim deed will it prevent the nursing home from taking the house for payment? I was told if a person has no assets Medicaid will pick up the nursing home costs. Is that correct

Bidding Chart or Price Chart [ 4 Answers ]

I need an example of a bidding chart or price chart... to estimate the a price when I bid on a place to clean. I'm in the office cleaning business.

Traveling nurse home base. [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a po box to establish a home base for tax purposes. What about using a sisters mailing address along with a po box to establish a home base. Going to be a travel nurse and don't want to pay each states taxes and get a deduction fro lots of things on the road.

View more questions Search