Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimhay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 07:31 PM
    Can the IRS garnish a social security check
    I owe back income tax. Can the IRS garnish mt social security check. I am disabled and can not work. I am 62 years old and will get my first chec k this month
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2010, 08:14 PM

Is this social security disability or social security retirement, ( it makes a big difference)

Also will the check be over 750 dollars a month.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 7, 2010, 11:18 AM
    It depends a great deal on HOW MUCH the Social Security check weighs into your overall income and net worth circumstance.

If the Social Security check is your ONLY source of income, and your net worth falls below a certain threshold, the IRS cannot garnish it if such a garnishment will cause you to drop below the poverty level.

However, you cannot assume that your financial circumstances are self-evident. You have to PROVE to the IRS that the garnishment will cause significant financial harm to you by submitting paperwork that shows what your net worth is and how important the Social Security check is to your continued financial well-being.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much can IRS garnish from Social Security? [ 17 Answers ]

I was wondering how much the IRS can garnish from my social security check? I owe back taxes and they just sent me a letter stating they are going to take almost 45% of my social security check. It is going to leave me unable to pay my rent and utilities. Can they really take up to almost 50%. ...

Can IRS garnish your social security checks for deliquent loans? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a s b a loan that went bad can they garnish my social security checks to repay the loan after I have filed personal bankruptcy and business bankruptcy?

Can the IRS garnish disability from social security? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe the IRS about 40 grand. I had 3 strokes recently and have applied for social security disability. If approved for disability my monthly check would be about 1800 dollars. What can I do to keep the IRS from my meager check?

IRS can they garnish my social security check [ 6 Answers ]

IRS can they garnish my socila security check

Can they garnish my social security disability check my only source of income ? [ 7 Answers ]

Court papers notifying me that I am being sued for payment of a credit card debt was found near my apartment. The writ of summons however was not placed in my hands nor was it sent through the mail. Was I legally notified because the papers were placed on the patio ground of my apartment and found...

View more questions Search