Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 4, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Toilet sounds like it is about to explode.
    I have an old porcelin toilet, circa 1950's, that is in excellent shape and is 'ming green', with a matching sink, also in excellent condition.

Lately, when the toilet is flushed, it makes a sound like a siren going off, and doesn't stop until the tank is filled back up. The sound is very loud, and increases in volume until the tank is full.

I replaced the flapper some months ago, and cannot see anything obvious as to what could be happening to cause this. The water valve is on all the way. It almost sounds like it is having to fight to fill the tank back up.

Any ideas?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2010, 08:34 AM

Toilet noise is caused by a loose washer in the angle valve or vibration from the rubber washer inside the ballcock, here is what you need to do, Next time the noise starts back off the angle stop located under the tank counterclockwise see if noise stops if it does washer inside the angle valve is loose, if not problem is with your fill valve, please see the images below and tell us which one is your fill valve and one of us will show you how to fix it, Thanks.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 4, 2010, 08:49 AM

Try afaroos solution first and if that doesn't get it then replace the ballcock. Good luck, Tom
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 4, 2010, 06:06 PM

Afaroo and Speedbball- Thank you!

I will print the diagram, and my son has promised to tackle this with me.

Very happy to know that the toilet will not likely explode.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 4, 2010, 06:36 PM

Hi all..

Jake, check the shutoff as mentioned above.. could be the washer is an issue. If the shutoff develops a leak at the nut behind the handle of the shutoff then your son will need to hold the shutoff in one hand and tighten the nut behind the handle to stop the leak.

Otherwise, if that is a 1950s toilet with 1950s toilet fill valve then I wouldn't waste any time investigating this... replace the fill valve.

My bet is that the guts inside the toilet tank look like the picture on the right in Afaroo's post. If so, you shouldn't even mess around trying to repair the assembly as it is time to replace it, for sure! In this case, you should be purchasing a FLUIDMASTER 400A fill valve (about $10.00 at home depot... see image) and a new flexible toilet supply tube (3/8" compression x 7/8" toilet supply nut... see image)... available at any home improvement store.

Your son should just need to shut off the water to the toilet, flush the toilet to empty the tank, use a sponge or wet vacuum to empty the toilet tank of any residual water and then disconnect the water supply tubing from the fill valve and from the shutoff and finally remove the old ballcock type fill valve.

Follow directions to install the new fluidmaster fill valve... instructions on box... very simple install, actually! Hook new flexible toilet supply tube to the shutoff and to the new fill valve.

Turn water on to the tank and set the water level so it is 1" below the brass overflow tube. Instructions to adjust water level are in the instructions. He may need to tighten the packing nut as mentioned earlier... be sure he holds against himself.

If your toilet fill valve looks like the picture on the left then I would still advise you to replace it with a new one as this really is a simple job with the right tools. You can spend the time running to the store for a repair part or just buy the unit. At $10.00... buy the entire fill valve.

Let us know if you have questions...

Mark
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2010, 07:03 PM

Yes Jake2008,

I agree with Massplumber2008 100% follow his advices and you will be OK, replacing the fill will valve is a very easy task, good luck.

John
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Well, if any or all of you were in the neighbourhood, I'd have you all over for coffee!

I did what I could, and what I was comfortable with (not much.. ), and not 10 minutes ago a plumber replaced the Fill Valve, like all of you had said.

It no longer sounds like it is going to explode!!

I'm so happy I didn't have to replace the toilet.

Thanks again all of you, for helping me out.
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 10:10 AM

Am glad that your problem is resolved, Thanks for the coffee and the update.

Best Regarsd,
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Making air sounds [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, We have been living in our brand new home for 5 weeks and we just started noticing that our toilets was making air sounds and the water would sometimes lower and then return to normal level. It would seem like there is air/pressure in the line somewhere. I don't know a lot about how the...

My toilet sounds like a snake. Is that bad? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All! At the beginning of the week my toilet started doing something weird. After you flush it, (after the contents have been flushed out), it makes a kind of gurgly burp and not very much water (im thinking 4 inches of water) refills the bowl. Then it starts to hiss like crazy. Like a trapped...

Toilet Fill Valve making sounds [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a brand new toilet and I purchased it from RONA. For about a week now I’ve been hearing a hissing sound coming from the tank. I pressed down on the fill valve lever that fills the tank and the sound goes away for minute or so and then it begins to make that sound again. There are no...

Toilet Making Sounds [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My toilet makes these sounds when its not in use. This happens maybe every 10-15 minutes for about 2-3 seconds. And the sounds only occur in 1 toilet in my house. It sounds as like something is bottled up wants to bust out - as if a devil is blowing off steam. When the sound occurs, tiny...

Sounds like toilet is running? [ 3 Answers ]

Sounds like toilet is running constantly but the toilets aren't running. Even after I turn the water valve off for the entire house, the sound is still heard. This has been happening for a few days now. What could this be? And why is it happening? Thank you:confused:

View more questions Search