Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nehra4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 09:27 AM
    Paying for oil in tenants tank
    What are the "rules" for paying a tenant for oil in the tank. I have tenant that's leaving and not sure if I should pay for the oil remaining in the tank. My lease only says that the tenant is responsible for all utilities like heat, electricity... etc Thanks !
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 09:59 AM

If he paid for the oil in the tank, then he is entitled to a refund from you for what is left in the tank. Otherwise, someone else is benefiting from the oil he paid for.

Tick
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 11:15 AM

I agree with Tick, because it's similar to how this is handled when you buy or sell a house with an oil tank. You have someone from the oil company come out and estimate how much oil is in the tank, and then the buyer pays the seller for that amount of oil at current prices. But if you do this with a tenant, and pay him for the left over oil, then you must also charge the next tenant for the starting amount of oil. In essence you are acting as a conduit for the next tenant to pay the previous one for the oil in the tank.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2010, 12:03 PM

I'm going to disagree here. If the lease specifies that utilities are the responsibility of the tenant, then it's the tenant's responsibility to deal with this issue, not the landlord's. That being said, I would handle this for the tenant. Do what ebaines said and have the oil company the tenant has used provide you with an estimate of the amount of oil left and the current price for the oil. Pay the tenant that amount. As part of the negotiations with the next tenant, advise them that they will need to pay for the oil currently in the tank.
    nehra4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 12:16 PM

Appreciate the feedback. I'll pay the current tenant and then have a gentleman's agreement with the new tenant. Will look to update my renewal's with specific language in regards to the oil tank.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 06:08 PM

What I always did, I filled the tank before the new tenant moved in. Then when they moved out they were liable to refill the tank for any fuel they used. So it was filled for next.
    If they did not, I would fill it and hold that from their deposiit or sue them for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenants paying their rent late [ 10 Answers ]

I have a tenant that for the last 6 months they are paying the rent late. These tenant one of them is a Police Officer and the wife works for a large freight company. They try to make their personal issues our issues and have been late. I heard that there is a special law for Policeman that they...

Eviction--2 tenants--1 paying 1 is not [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone... what happens if 2 people are renting an apartment 1 renter is payng and the other renter is not--are both held liable for the actions of the nonpaying renter? How does eviction work in this scenario in Florida? Thank you

Tenants paying for heat/hot water, how much oil must be left in tank? [ 9 Answers ]

My name is Melissa and I live in Maine. I am in the process of moving out of an apartment where the tenant pays for heat and hot water. My question is, do I need to have the same amount of oil in the tank when I leave as I did when I first moved in? The apartment I was in before that was the same...

Can bank evict well paying tenants if tenants want to stay [ 3 Answers ]

My good friend from England and his family are leasing a home in Houston TX. He is a well paid man working for a oil company and (with British passports). Landlord fell sick and is about to foreclose the house and go bankrupt. My friend Martin loves to stay there to continue his tenancy (a...

Non paying tenants with no lease [ 5 Answers ]

We have a tenant that hasn't paid rent since July. We used his security for August and half of September. In July we asked him to leave because we needed the apartment for our own needs. He has always been late month after month leaving us notes telling us why he will be late. We have been nice...

View more questions Search