Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ojforhisglory Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 09:29 PM
    Can I legally ask a long term house guest to leave?
    In May, 2008, I allowed my ex husband's sister to stay with me "for awhile". I expected her to stay a few months tops. She is still here nealy three years later. Can I legally get her out of my house? I live in NJ.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 05:04 AM

Hello o:

Sure. If she doesn't leave after you ask her nicely, you can evict her.

excon
    foundation Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Aug 27, 2010, 05:25 AM

Send her a letter asking her to leave. Send it delivery confirmation and keep an exact copy for yourself. Give her days to vacate, then file eviction papers at the county clerks office.

Aug 27, 2010, 05:26 AM

'Sorry, you need to give her 7 days to vacate before filing the eviction papers.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 05:30 AM

Hello again, o:

She's considered a month to month tenant. Therefore, you must give her a 30 day WRITTEN notice.

excon

Aug 27, 2010, 05:44 AM

Hi excon, where is the koolaid?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2010, 05:57 AM

Given that she has no lease or rental agreement, you have to give her 30 day notice that you are terminating her tenancy. If she refuses to leave after that 30 days, then you go to your local court and apply for an eviction order.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 27, 2010, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by foundation View Post
    Send her a letter asking her to leave. Send it delivery confirmation and keep an exact copy for your self. Give her days to vacate, then file eviction papers at the county clerks office.
    Assuming, of course, that you know her address. ;)

Aug 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Assuming, of course, that you know her address. ;)
    Sir, She lives with the lady who wants to evict her from her home. The home address should suffice?
    Expert

Aug 27, 2010, 01:39 PM
    Sir, She lives with the lady who wants to evict her from her home. The home address should suffice?
    The sarcasm went over your head, evidently. You had suggested that the OP "... Send it delivery confirmation ...". So that would get you a postal form proving receipt. OP's testimony would serve the same purpose.

Sep 1, 2010, 04:38 PM

Yes sir, my only concern would be that the second party would deny that they were ask to leave. A written note would at least provide a paper trail.
    Thankx for pointing the sarcasm out.
    Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 05:00 PM
    ... A written note would at least provide a paper trail. ...
    Write or type the note.

Sign it.

Hand it to the unwanted houseguest.

Have the UH sign a receipt, if she will. Or have a witness to the delivery of the note.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My house guest won't leave [ 3 Answers ]

I invited my friend of 10 + years and her daughter to move in with me while she find a job and a house (she was evicted from her apartment). A year + later, she still at my house without no job. I asked her to leave 7 months ago, and she still has not moved out. I just sent her a certified letter...

How do I evict a house guest who refuses to leave? [ 4 Answers ]

My friend agreed to let her ex-husband stay with her for a couple of weeks so that he could "get on his feet". He has been there now for almost two months and now refuses to leave. When she called the police they told her to file an eviction with the court. She is worried that if he does not...

My long-term girlfriend wants to leave; and she did. I want her back. But how? [ 142 Answers ]

Ill try keeping this short so its easy to understand: My girlfriend and I have been together for 2-3 yrs. We are both 19 yrs old. Everything was nothing short of perfect until the last couple of months. During the "perfect" period, we had healthy relationship problems, arguments, and we would...

Long term marriage.long term problems [ 6 Answers ]

Well Where do I start …I have been with the same woman since high school and now at 41 we are in a very rough marriage with a 4 year old son …we almost got a divorce at the 7 year mark due to her request that she just didn’t love me anymore and some of the hurtful things I had done like some...

View more questions Search