Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thedevilyouknew Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 09:56 AM
    1908 King Sewing Machine
    My neighbors across the street were throwing away a treadle sewing machine and I nabbed it just because it looks cool. Now I wonder if its worth anything. I can't find a serial number, though there is '1123' at the base of the actual machine. Most of the decals are in good condition and although its missing a belt, the machine looks like its in working order.

All I know about King is that they were bought out by White in the 20's. Can anyone give me more information on the company than that?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 01:08 AM
    I do enjoy the challenge of finding information about old sewing machines on the Internet. As such, I will continue to look. No guarantees, though. The information about the King sewing machines does seem really hard to find.

There is a picture of the King Sewing Machine Factory on the following link. King Sewing Machine Factory on Flickr - Photo Sharing! Looking into other information there and about the poster of the image might lead to additional information.
    thedevilyouknew Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    King sewing machines does seem really hard to find.
    See, that makes me wonder if it's worth anything.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 03:08 AM
    The information on the Internet concerning your machine might not turn up readily in searches, but may be buried on a site somewhere that doesn't get good exposure in searches. What I mean is, the information is probably out there, but just is really hard to find because it might not be found well in general searches, but a person may need to know a specific site to go to in order to find the information concerning it.

The machine that you have already has some intrinsic/sentimental value to you because of your thinking that it "looks cool." I would feel the same way if I were smitten by the way that the machine looks.

Old sewing machines generally do not have a very high monetary value, unless they are wanted by someone who is a real serious collector who is willing to pay some serious money just to have the machine. But, those types of collectors are hard to come by. The old machines keep showing up for little if any cost at garage or rummage sales. However, the right person who has knowledge and use for them can really see the "value" in them.

The fact is though, is that many of the really old treadle machines can have a great artistic value because of the appearance they might have. Some of the old cabinets and artwork on the machines is absolutely gorgeous! They can make great conversation pieces in a home, especially if other artifacts from around the same era as the manufacture of them are also displayed along side and with them.

The old machines, if still working or can be made to work, do still have value as far as sewing is concerned, because some sewing techniques are better done with the speed and force that can be applied with the old treadles unlike those of modern sewing machines.
    daledoe90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 12:53 AM
    In the 1890 to 1940 period there was a fad with large retailers and mail order houses to sell "own brand" sewing machines.

To do this they entered into contracts with established sewing machine manufacturers who would supply standard models but with the name of choice substituted for the normal brand name.

ISMACS has records of nearly 5000 such "exclusive" names produced by half a dozen makers during this period.
    So more than likely it is just a singer or something like that with a substituted name
    John Maleady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
    The King sewing machine company operated a huge factory in Buffalo, NY in the early 1900's. The cool look of the cabinet is due to the tiger oak finish put on cabinets in this time. I found a 1903 model in a barn and liked it's look a lot. It sounds like you have less work to restore than I did. It is NOT just a singer rebranded but a machine made in the USA by an independent company called King. The last time I looked the name King sewing machine company was still visible on the buildings wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sewing machine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a singer model 457 I can not get the needle to pick up bobbin thread

Value of Raymond Sewing Company Foot Pedal Sewing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I am in possession of a Raymond Company foot pedal operated Sewing machine and I am wondering roughly what it may be worth. I believe it is from the late 1800's.

Information about sewing machine [ 7 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a White Family Rotary sewing machine. Can anyone tell me about the machine. The only markings I found were the model number

Old sewing machine [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old black electric sewing machine in wooden cabinet with the brandname UNIVERSAL (made in Japan). I do not know how old it is but would like to know how to find a manual for it and also an estimate of the value. I have been unable to find any info on this brand anywhere. Please help

Antique sewing machine [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I found a sewing machine my grandmother used to have. I don't know what model or make it is... all the machine says is "Western" on the side of it and it has a plate on the right hand side that says "Model 300" and it has some sort of serial number E658732. Please find a picture enclosed....

View more questions Search