Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patrick_va Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
    What do I go to college for as a felon??
    I am almost 23 and a felon... I've been working dead end labor jobs for the past 4 and a half years and decided I want to go college to make more money because I can't survive now on my own with what I make a year... so my question is what can I go to school to study for that will overall give me a chance to provide for my family and myself?? I am interested in everything, good at computers, cars, and damn near anything anyone won't want to do... if you have any thoughts and or can relate and have made this decision I would llike to make myself please feel free to share... thank you
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
    I'm not trying to pry, but what you were convicted of is relavent. Some types of jobs will not be easy to get into no matter what, while others are more forgiving depending on your offense. For example, in mortgage lending, it is possible for individuals to get hired that have committed violent crimes, but if they've committed a "white collar" crime, forget it.

I'm sure excon will be along to help, listen to him, he'll have good advice for you on this.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2007, 08:34 PM
    First remember a college degree is not an instant success ( a lot better than not having it)

But there are also other great areas to look at. Tech schools, plumbing and electric, my son make as much as a lot of lawyers I am sure and he operates a contracting crew.

Also run your own business, from house painting, to pressure washing, to almost anything.

But what are you intrested in, what are you doing now. Study management, or go to cooking school to be a chief.
    Learn engineering, great field. You need to think of what interests you, and learn that. Nothing worst than working on a job you don't like,
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2007, 09:22 PM
    You said you are interested in many things - have you ever gone to your local Job Service and gone through their skill testings? They are a battery of tests that will zone in on your best aptitudes. There are places that even will agree to send a person to tech school or college, providing that person signs an agreement to work for the employer for a period of a couple years or so. For example, diesel mechanics. A good vocational counselor can help you sort through options and give you ideas on how to get a leg up on a career.

Best of luck to you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Hello patrick:

If your crime involved a question of "moral turpitude", then there are some professions that you're going to be shut out of, such as stock broker, realtor, CPA, and such.

However, there is no such ban on computer related jobs. Go be a computer scientist, and kick butt.

excon
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Jan 10, 2007, 08:34 AM
    There are so many things a felon can do to have a successful carear. First of all, don't use being a felon as a crutch as to why you have had dead end jobs. I have even seen felon's as prison guards. Depending on your crime, of course there are going to be jobs you will not get hired for. Did you go to prison? If you did, depending on when there are govt grants to help you go to school. Go to a college, talk to a counselor, that will be the best advice you can get. A counselor can help you get financial help and know what fields you could or couldn't get into. Prove yourself to your employer and go for it. Do not get caught up in the idea that you are a felon and it holds you back, you can be portraying that persona to others. You made a mistake, put it behind you, you paid your dues and you are just a good as anyone else. With this war on drugs there are many felons out there, it is not as it was 20 years ago. Good luck, go forward and head held high.
    rackld Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 11:38 AM
    If your felony was committed as a juvi, then you can look into getting your record expunged.
    lostandnowfound Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jan 10, 2007, 01:03 PM
    I am a felon for drug charges(ecstacy) I am working a sudo dead end job... but they will pay for college... I am 30 and let me be honest... wahtever you go for Just do it... if it intrests you... then go for it... I wish I was wise enough to just get the schooling stated... by the time you're my age you will have your degree and could be going for a masters... life is what you make it... and a lot of people have soft spots for someone eho is truly regretful and live honest now... As far as classes gof or computers... learn to do web pages... but learn flash and some of the animation software... you could freelance or work for a large company doing graphic design... or do both and make bank... take a few marketing classes so you can sell yourself too
    tweak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 12:41 AM
    Comment on shygrneyzs's post
    Insight
    silenthand2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 10:43 PM
    You can be almost any thing you want with some challenges. The US Supreeme court has ruled that there are three things employers must look at 1)time since offense 2)rehabilitation 3) relationship to offense.

Obviously, sex crimes can't work with children.
    No matter the time frame?? Who knows
    But in general, I know University Professors who are ex-felons. Nurses, doctors, public officials, non-profit organizations, lawyers, and such...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

Can A Felon Be Bonded [ 11 Answers ]

Can a person with a felony conviction that occurred over 45 years ago be bonded. The conviction did not have anything to do with theft.

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

Three time felon [ 12 Answers ]

I am a two time felon. I would like to know if I am convicted a third time is it possible I could get probation instead of sitting in jail. I just got off parole, but I haven't had probation. Do you think I have another chance to do right?

View more questions Search