Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2005, 01:18 AM
    Tracking internet use
    Help! I would like to find out if it is possible to track the sites someone uses on the net even if they clear the history? I would like to track the sites my boyfriend is using on our home computer (against my wishes!) and wonder if there is a way I can do it. You can probably guess the types of sites he is visiting and has promised to stop, I would like to believe him but also would like to check for reassurance.
    Thanks! :confused:
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2005, 03:16 AM
    Never tried any of these myself but here's a list of various different pieces of software - http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Monitoring/. Make sure you pick one which you can password protect and set a password your boyfriend can't guess. Then also make sure you remove any shortcuts to the program making it difficult for him to find it. Might also be an idea to install it somewhere where he won't look (some normal looking folder like C:\Program Files\Common Libraries).

Another route to take might be just blocking these sites that he shouldn't be using, using parental controls etc. These would stop him going to the sites completely. You would set a password on your settings to so there is no way he can change them without guessing your password. Also it kind of traps him. If he sees that the page is blocked, he might come up to you and ask you about it. The only way he would have know it was blocked was if he was visiting it in the first place and you could have a word with him. Internet Explorer has a "content advisor" (Tools >> Internet Options >> Content. Content Advisor is at the top). AOL will have it's parental controls. Good idea though will just be to search for "parental control" in Google and see what you find. Being only 23, I haven't yet had the need to block any children from things on my PC.

Finally, I just want to add that blokes looking at adult sites is pretty normal, especially if he is young (from what I've seen at least). Instead of forbidden him from doing it, why not try sharing the experience and do it with him. With lines like that I should have my own TV show :P
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2005, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nking
    Help! I would like to find out if it is possible to track the sites someone uses on the net even if they clear the history? I would like to track the sites my boyfriend is using on our home computer (against my wishes!) and wonder if there is a way I can do it. You can probably guess the types of sites he is visiting and has promised to stop, I would like to believe him but also would like to check for reassurance.
    While there are a few packages that can do this, I don't think this is your problem. If you do not trust your boyfriend, then your problem is bigger then tracking his Internet activity. I suggest you start looking for a new boyfriend.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2005, 06:43 AM
    Tracking
    Hi,
    I would NEVER suggest you look for a new boyfriend, simply cause that wasn't your question!
    One expert gave a link to a program that does track internet usuage; but be sure you delete any icon on the desktop to it.
    You will also have to go to Start/Programs, then find the program after you install it. Then, after seeing where the execute file is (the path), you must delete the program from the Start/Programs, so your boyfriend won't find it.

You can also search http://www.google.com, by typing in "track internet", without quotes, and find other free programs that will do this.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS; Some experts seem to "go off the deepend" with their comments to have more points.

Apr 8, 2005, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I would NEVER suggest you look for a new boyfriend, simply cause that wasn't your question!
    PS; Some experts seem to "go off the deepend" with their comments to have more points.
    Fred,
    Talking about yourself? That last remark applies only to YOU, not anyone else in this thread. Had you not added that remark I would not have commented. But since you did I felt compelled to comment.

I stand by my recommendation about the relationship. My ONLY reason for answering was to provide help. Anyone who has looked over the patterns of your answers and mine over time can see that YOU are the one who adds superfulous answers just to drive up your numbers, not I.

While the question was not about the relationship, the problem behind the question was. Relationships are built on trust. If a party to a relationship needs to spy on the other party, or the other party is continually doing things the first party doesn't approve of, then its time to move on to another relation. The idea of these boards is to provide help, not just answers to questions. I believe my comments were reasonable and helpful given the underlying problem.

You have repeatedly complained, publicly and privately about alleged harassment of other helpers attacking your answers. Yet here you not only attack someone else's answer but make a false accusation about motivation.
    You had every right to comment about my advice not answering the question. But you had no right to make a false accusation about motiviation. That was just another example of your harassment of myself and others.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Abuse
    I have reported you many times for your abusive treatment of those who ask questions here, but to no avail.
    You just can't stop from harassing questioners. much less other experts.
    You are such a "noboby" when it comes to limelighting.
    Who else would put their name in "green neon lights" as a signature? No one but you. Hopefully, some day soon, you will find a life, and leave others alone.
    fredg

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Fred,
    Talking about yourself? That last remark applies only to YOU, not anyone else in this thread. Had you not added that remark I would not have commented. But since you did I felt compelled to comment.

I stand by my recommendation about the relationship. My ONLY reason for answering was to provide help. Anyone who has looked over the patterns of your answers and mine over time can see that YOU are the one who adds superfulous answers just to drive up your numbers, not I.

While the question was not about the relationship, the problem behind the question was. Relationships are built on trust. If a party to a relationship needs to spy on the other party, or the other party is continually doing things the first party doesn't approve of, then its time to move on to another relation. The idea of these boards is to provide help, not just answers to questions. I believe my comments were reasonable and helpful given the underlying problem.

You have repeatedly complained, publicly and privately about alleged harassment of other helpers attacking your answers. Yet here you not only attack someone else's answer but make a false accusation about motivation.
    You had every right to comment about my advice not answering the question. But you had no right to make a false accusation about motiviation. That was just another example of your harassment of myself and others.

Apr 8, 2005, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    I have reported you many times for your abusive treatment of those who ask questions here, but to no avail.
    You just can't stop from harassing questioners., much less other experts.
    You are such a "noboby" when it comes to limelighting.
    Who else would put their name in "green neon lights" as a signature? no one but you. Hopefully, some day soon, you will find a life, and leave others alone.
    fredg
    The reason why your reports have gone unheeded is because I do not harass anyone. I offer help and pertinent information in answer to questions. If anyone looks at the notes you have posted today, they can easily see who is harassing whom.

As for my signature, green happens to be my favorite color. You think my use of a signature (a feature offered by this site) is akin to what you call "limelighting". That is one of your more asinine comments, but just goes to prove who is harassing whom.

I will agree that I am a "'nobody' when it comes to limelighting". I don't hold a candle to you for trying to build up my rankings and ratings with superfluous postings. I freely award you the championship in doing that. All I try to do is help people with accurate, pertinent and helpful advice.
    sultan_emerr Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Apr 10, 2005, 12:52 AM
    FIGHT .. FIGHT !!!
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 11, 2005, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nking
    To answser your Q... Yes, ALL internet sites visited are stored on the computer, irrespective of your bubbas ability to clear/delete cache and history and there are many, many ways to "track" computer internet usage... Your answers lie in the index.dat file.

As I am respectful of ones privacy and you are interested, email me offline and I will provide you with the specifics.

P2E

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "What commonly hinders us from showing the recesses of our heart to our friends, is not the distrust we have of them, but that we have of ourselves."... François de la Rochefoucauld, 1613-1680

Jul 12, 2005, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Press2Esc
    Yes, ALL internet sites visited are stored on the computer...Your answers lie in the index.dat file.

As I am respectful of ones privacy and you are interested, email me offline and I will provide you with the specifics.

P2E
    First, The Index.dat file can be cleared and doesn't track all Internet activity.

Second, if you are so respectful of other's privaacy, why would you offer to help with this, even privately?
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 12, 2005, 09:36 AM
    Idle minds and wagging tongues
    Yes, the index file can be cleared by the estimated 5% of 700M internet users who know about it or have reason to clear it. And yes - the index file does track ALL your internet activities, including the executables you run, movies you watch and documents you open. Send me your IP and I will demostrate..

Regarding, my offer to assist in privacy - sorry scott, you don't rate a reply & my reasons are private. :D

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    First, The Index.dat file can be cleared and doesn't track all Internet activity.

Second, if you are so respectful of other's privaacy, why would you offer to help with this, even privately?

Jul 13, 2005, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Press2Esc
    Yes, the index file can be cleared by the estimated 5% of 700M internet users who know about it or have reason to clear it. And yes - the index file does track ALL your internet activities, including the executables you run, movies you watch and documents you open. Send me your IP and I will demostrate..

Regarding, my offer to assist in privacy - sorry scott, you dont rate a reply & my reasons are private. :D

P2E
    I think your estimates of the number of people who know about index.dat are off. However, if anyone really wanted to cover their tracks, they would quickly find out about it.

I did check further and do retract what I said about it not tracking all activity.

The point is not what your reasons are, but that you would make what essentially was a contradictory statement. If you believe in respecting the privacy of an individual then you would not offer to help someone spy on them. Its as simple as that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tracking using old e-mail addy [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any way to track someone using an old e-mail addy without have to pay for services?

Cell phone no tracking [ 1 Answers ]

I and my wife both are having same models mobiles i.e. Nokia 2100, I am very sure ,that she is receiving calls from her friend, so I only wish to monitor the call Nos.she dials and received,on her cell. So I can track the nos .through my cellphone and I will get the intimation on my cell whenever...

Email tracking [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way of tracking an email back to it's origin and getting the sender's IP. A friend recently had a problem in which her boss got a very abusive email (which they called the police about) and they wanted to know if they can track it's sender's IP. Can anybody think of a tool I could...

Cell phone, etc. Tracking? [ 3 Answers ]

I've met a man, we have dated, he says he lives in Maryland (originally said D.C.), however the cell #/area code (818) is L.A. based.  When he calls my home phone, appropriate name comes up, however I would like to find out his actual place of residence... seeing if  he is truthful... All I have is...

View more questions Search