Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steve250 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Lennox sounds like Jet engine
    I have a 2002 Lennox Elite series, gas forced air furnace( no A/C ). The first 30 seconds to a minute sounds like a jet engine that will wake the dead. It heats the house fine, the fan is quiet, the filter is not an issue, the fresh air intake has a screen and is not blocked and the sound is not affected by the outside temp. The loud jet turbine is worse when the heat has not been turned on for several hours or over night. The sound has gotten louder as time has gone by. This is my first winter in this house so no past history. Thanks
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Sounds like a Lennox 80% furnace with inshot burner design to me.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2007, 09:02 AM
    I really don't appriciate getting a negative response for saying Lennox and many other 80% furnaces are loud. I have been hearing this complaint from customers since 80+'s came out... and there is not much we can do. Maybe insulate the utility room door, as long as the room has proper fresh air for combustion. I always warn home owners of the noise factor, and very often they still want the 80%, over the much quieter 90% because it is $800 cheaper.

Hold on a minute, I am not done with my rant now that it has been started.

Why do we have this notion that a cheap furnace should last 30 years without servicing?
    Americans buy a new car on average every 5 years, (it's a status symbol you know) and I bet they get an oil change once a year, at least I hope.

They spend thousands of dollars on new kitchen appliances to impress their friends and family when the old equipment worked just fine.

Service men are rip offs and sharks because when we show up at 2:00 A.M. to repair a furnace, that obviously has not been touched for 8 years, it is very expensive. (Buy the way I have noticed people will do and pay almost anything when they are very cold)

So when it comes to this point, many service men who are not in the best of moods, since they have been working 16 hours straight, may jerk some home owners over. For the most part the service men are some of the most honest people of any profession I have met. But after a few years we get jaded, we have little sympathy in these situations if you don't care for your furnace, we don't either. We feel very bad when a furnace is 6 years old and has been serviced periodically to leave somebody cold.

The thought of a new furnace shoots fear into the hearts of most mortal men and women.

I'm not really done, but I'll give it a break.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Good job Northern. You said it all. I for one agree. Service Tech T-Top.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Northernheat, I understand what you are "ranting" about. Someone's furnace goes untouched for a couple of years and then you get a call at two in the morning, and they are not your customers, but you still take care of their problem because you are a caring person and they could have small children or they could be old. And on top of that you do not jerk them over, you might even charge the same price that you would had it been in the middle of the day. Then when you are finished with the work they have the nerve to ask you to send them a bill because they don't get paid till the first of the month. A bigger peeve that I have is sometimes on here you will see a question that says something like;"My furnace does not work it runs but it won't work, how can I fix it?" and they expect you to know exactly what it wrong. I have been doing heating and AC since 1959 and I just needed to vent a little also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jet engine efficiency [ 6 Answers ]

Which would be considered to be the better design over-all? One huge jet engine, or two smaller ones of the same design? I know jets are not measured in the same way, but to give an analogy with normal piston engines, I would be asking: is 500cc single-cylinder, or two 250cc cylinders the better...

Thermal efficiency of jet engine [ 0 Answers ]

What is the best thermal efficiency of jet engines? Example: gasoline engines are about 30% efficient, diesel 50%, high bypass turbofan??

No Sounds [ 1 Answers ]

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM “Help”! Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue. Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory...

No Sounds [ 3 Answers ]

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM “Help”! Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue. Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory...

(vb+ acces)the Microsoft jet database engine stopp [ 0 Answers ]

Hi , I hope you can help me please I wrote a clocking program that people use to clock in,in the morning The program is written in visual basic 6 with an ado control that is connecting to an access 2000 database and using a Microsoft jet 4.0 ole db provider. My ado control settings are as...

View more questions Search