Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swro Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

Jul 21, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Nauseous before sneezing
    I always seem to get this wave of intense nausea before I sneeze- then I'll sneeze 4 or 5 times in a row, and the nausea is gone--a problem that is really annoying when you just can't seem to get the sneeze to come out. Any ideas? Does this happen to anyone else??
    vomit2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Hi, just read your thread about your nausea then sneezing. I started about 3 years ago when I lost my thyroid function. The very same thing you are suffering. Also came across the same reaction from doctors, as other people trying to get to the bottom of this very uncomfortable and weird syndrome. They look at you like some kind of looney. I don't know if you get the same as me if you don't sneeze, my nausea just keeps getting worse till it feels like my stomach is being pulled through my back side, this happens about 1 time in ten. Anyway thanks for putting this on the net, I though I was just a looney, now I know there are other so called loonies out there.
    Bob
    dannette2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2010, 07:57 AM
    I've had this same problem since I was pregnant with my first child. After I gave birth I expected it to go away but it didn't. My son had a lot of stomach problems and threw up a lot. In fact he passed away soon after because he couldn't hold down food (dr. says SIDS but I know better than that. I get really nauseous (to the point I feel I'm going to throw up) and then I sneeze a couple of times and feel better instantly.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dannette2 View Post
    I've had this same problem since I was pregnant with my first child. After I gave birth I expected it to go away but it didn't. My son had alot of stomach problems and threw up alot. In fact he passed away soon after because he couldn't hold down food (dr. says SIDS but I know better than that. I get really nauseous (to the point I feel I'm going to throw up) and then I sneeze a couple of times and feel better instantly.
    An interesting question. It's not difficult to see how this would elude diagnosis. Below is a link to a "symptom tracker" that will allow you to enter other criteria and get a list of possible causes. Beginning with Nausea and Sneezing you will find 283 possible causes (most allergy, some drug reaction, etc). To that you can add additional information (such as pregnancy) and as many additional symptoms as apply in order to reduce the possibilities. It takes a little time, but is well organized and easy to use. Good luck.

SYMPTOM TRACKER
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Aug 7, 2010, 12:18 AM

Consult your doctor!
    What symptoms of nausea do you experience? Are these symptoms common even when you're not sneezing?
    Do you notice any changes with your throat?
    You could try webmd maybe, too, but you could just explain this to your doctor.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Aug 7, 2010, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dannette2 View Post
    I get really nauseous (to the point I feel I'm going to throw up) and then I sneeze a couple of times and feel better instantly.
    Is it that you experience nausea then you sneeze and it's gone? Do you sneeze every time this happens?

Maybe it has become a pattern mentally for you. What are you thinking of when it happens? Are you anxious?

I would still recommend consulting your doctor.

Here are some links you could read!
    http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Undiagn...ng/show/534535
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6035705AAPEyYv
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6052755AASvgFl
    Check your symptoms for acid reflux and gastritis and consult your doctor as they would be able to help you with whatever this is, it may simply be not serious at all or it could possibly be!
    your_juliet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 08:07 PM
    Hmmm, thought for sure this was only happening to me --

I, too, sometimes feel like I'm about to puke and/or dry heave and then it actually turns into a sneeze and goes away. I honestly don't remember when it started, but I'm 24 and its really only been going on for a few years. I was wondering if anyone with the same issue is heat sensitive? Sometimes when I'm really hot I also get that nauseous feeling and then sneeze or turn the fan on and blow it in my face and it goes away, too. Just wondering if these two things could be related?

I'm starting to think maybe all of this is related to thyroid disease such as Graves or hyperthyroidism because I do have a family history of it and in checking some of the symptoms I do see heat sensitivity, albeit not so much sneezing vs. puking. At any rate, would love to know but I do realize the only one who can answer it is my doctor. :P I did, however, have my thyroid tested not so long ago and it came back normal so...

Also, @ lJ -- Although it could possibly be a pattern mentally, it isn't for me. It doesn't happen often, but it's so fast when it does I can't control it and I just sneeze and instantly feel better.
    emonsoon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
    I'm so relieved to know other people are experiencing this because no one in my life knows what I'm describing. I haven't noticed a pattern of when the nausea pops up because, but it certainly isn't every time I need to sneeze; (@ your_juliet)today, though, I did notice when it happened that I was feeling overly warm. This might be something for me to keep better track of.

Also, I have had my thyroid tested and it's come back normal, so for me, there doesn't appear to be a thyroid-sneeze-nausea connection.

Ruttager Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 09:11 AM
    I just Googled the two symptoms because I just experienced the same combination of symptoms.

The episode started 4 hours after I have awoken.
    In the last 4 hours I have eating one orange (not sufficient intake) and ingested 2 cups of coffee.

The symptoms were relieved after I ate a normal meal. And I will continue eating normal meals at normal times during the day (eg. Not skipping on breakfast).

This was my solution to resolve the symptoms of nausea before sneezing.
    dannette2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2011, 11:18 AM
    I don't have the same correlation to eating food that you do. It doesn't seem to hit me when I've not eaten enough because it happens on a full stomach as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I always so nauseous? [ 5 Answers ]

I am sure I am NOT pregnant! I have been taking HPT every 1-2 weeks for the past 4 months. I took the last hpt I think 3 days ago and it was negative. I haven't been on birth control for over a year. Also I don't have any periods on my own and do have small cysts, so I'm almost certain pregnancy...

Sneezing [ 4 Answers ]

So, I work in a rather large building with a good amount of people on shift at any given time. 500+, pretty casual, as we're a gaming company, so everyone is pretty relaxed. Like, I can tell my boss (jokingly) to shut up, and he'll tell me to "hold the *eff* on" and stuff, and we're cool. The...

Nauseous, stomach, [ 1 Answers ]

Feeling nauseous the last couple of weeks. A little bit sick to the stomach. Still can eat, but still feel off. I know it could be anything. Anybody with any ideas of possible reasons for these symptoms?

Sneezing cat [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is 15 years old, is an inside cat and just started sneezing A lot day and night. He's never done this before. What is wrong?

View more questions Search