Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john196145 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 07:35 PM
    Why does my hot water heater keep tripping the circuit breaker?
    I bought my home approximately 1.5 years ago and had installed a new GE hot water heater at that time. For several months now, it keeps tripping the circuit breaker. I noticed lately that when I go to reset the circuit breaker, that particular breaker is hot to the touch, not warm but hot. Could this be an issue of bad wires, 30 some years old? And would it be difficult for me to replace the wires if so?
    KansasCity Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2010, 07:48 PM

Hire an electrician soon! Your breaker is obviously bad, it should trip without over heating, and if its getting hot then imagine what the wires running through the wall are doing. You have a dangerous situation there and it needs to be addressed by a professionall right away.My guess is that the breaker is not only bad but is too small for the hot water unit. Please have it looked immediately.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 08:00 PM

KC could be right. What is the ampacity of the breaker box?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Even thou the breaker may now be defective, I suspect the wire connections at the breaker may have been loose, which will cause the heat.

OR, the new water heater is larger thant the original, and the circuit wiring and circuit breaker is too small.
    geno03245 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 09:41 PM
    Look at the water heater label. Look for Volts and Watts.

For example if new water heater has 5500 Watt elements and 240 Volts, then water heater draws 23 Amps. 4500 Watt elements and 240 Volts, draws 19 Amps. [Divide watts by volts to get amps]

If your water heater circuit breaker is 20 Amps, then it is too small for the job, and breaker will trip. Or if you have 12 gauge wire, this is too small for the job and breaker will trip.

4500 & 5500 Watt water heaters require 30 Amp breaker and 10 gauge wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

I have a State Select hot water heater and the circuit breaker keeps popping I can reset it and it works for about a day, any idea what may be causing the issue

Water pump circuit breaker tripping [ 0 Answers ]

We had a thunderstorm followed by power outage last night, this morning I went to use the water and it slowly went dead. I began by inspecting the pressure tank and pressure control switch, then found the outside water pump breaker was tripped, upon resetting the water was back on! But wait,...

Circuit breaker for my hot water heater keeps popping [ 20 Answers ]

I have a failry new electric water heater and the circuit breaker keeps popping. It is a whirlpool model that was installed about 7 months ago. Of course it is a holiday weekend and I need water so I can take care of my kids and laundry. Please help. I am not sure what other information is...

Hot water heater circuit breaker [ 11 Answers ]

I had the same problem with my state select water heater. After replacing both upper and lower elements I found that it was the upper thermostat. My problem is this: The new thermostat has a slightly different configuration than my old one. This is all Home Depot and Lowe's carried. My...

Hot tub circuit breaker tripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have had this hot tub for about 6 years. It has a history of blowing an internal 20 amp fuze. But, lately it runs a little while and then trips the circuit breaker. Any ideas?

View more questions Search