Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 05:29 AM
    Strange pig-like sounds from my Yorkie
    I have a Yorkie (Muttley) that is about 3. He is a rescue and the vet estimated his age while he was fixing his teeth, so I'll go along with 3.

When he gets excited he makes a snorting sound that resembles the sound pigs make.
    I noticed it soon after I got him and asked the vet about it and he said it was something to do with a condition all Yorkies have and not to worry.

I've had him about 6 months now and it seems to be a little more often and a little louder.

I also noticed he makes the same sound , but greatly muted when he sleeps. This I am not sure if it is a new development or not because it it is so subtle.

I am asking for a few "second opinions" to ease my mind about this. This the first Yorkie or any little dog I have been around for any length of time.

It didn't take long to get really attached to Muttley. What a great dog. Learns fast, doesn't bark or shed,really affectionate and has the fearless attitude of a lion when he thinks he needs to be protective.

I'd appreciate any input. I've come to admire and respect the opinions of the people on this site since I been spending some here. :DThanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2010, 06:29 AM

Is it inverse breathing? Here's my answer from 2009: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/d...-380978-2.html
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:04 AM

A lot of those smaller breeds with shorter snouts have a longer patella than normal. It can cause them do reverse sneezes and the pig like sounds you are talking about. Never seen it cause any harm to the dog, so if your vet says not to worry, I wouldn't.

My dog does a reverse sneeze. God awful sound. Scared the poop put of me the first time I saw and heard her doing it. But it wasn't anything that causes her pain or discomfort. What actually happens is when their throats are relaxed the patella kind of tickles their throat causing them to do the reverse sneeze or bog breathing, and as they do it, their patellas become swollen so they do it more frequently. Kind of like a human with big adenoids and tonsils.

Does she cough when she gets up from a nap?
    Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Is it inverse breathing? Here's my answer from 2009: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/d...-380978-2.html
    Thanks! That is good information. You should instruct vets on how to communicate.
    Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    A lot of those smaller breeds with shorter snouts have a longer patella than normal. It can cause them do reverse sneezes and the pig like sounds you are talking about. Never seen it cause any harm to the dog, so if your vet says not to worry, I wouldn't.

My dog does a reverse sneeze. God awful sound. Scared the poop put of me the first time I saw and heard her doing it. But it wasn't anything that causes her pain or discomfort. What actually happens is when their throats are relaxed the patella kind of tickles their throat causing them to do the reverse sneeze or bog breathing, and as they do it, their patellas become swollen so they do it more frequently. Kind of like a human with big adenoids and tonsils.

Does she cough when she gets up from a nap?
    Not really. Lightly when he naps. The worst is when we are walking. He loves going out and gets really excited. It takes several sometimes to get him calm enough to sit and stay while I hook his leash up.
    Then when we get outside he does it so loud he sounds like a pot bellied pig. It is funny but at the same time concerned me.

Thanks for the information. I hope I never encounter the reverse sneeze. That sounds like it is even worse.
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Jul 22, 2010, 11:46 AM

Martinizing, usually you hear those piggish grunting noises from pugs or breeds that have the shortened snouts and elongated soft palates as AB has pointed out. Irritation to the soft palate causes those reversed sneezes. There are quite a lot of Yorkies that suffer from this "grunting" condition. Sometimes it has to do with untreated allergies or bronchitis, (both conditions being health issues that breed suffers from), but generally speaking, grunting is just one of those things that occur with the breed as your vet stated. Your dog could very well be experiencing what Judy states here.

From your description of the night time breathing it sounds as if he is snoring. I have had plenty of dogs cross my threshold, big and small, that snore. Some of the smaller ones are worse than the big ones! Since Muttley (love that name) is a rescue, this issue could very well be the reason he found his way to a shelter. It could simply be a defective hereditary condition due to poor breeding practices.

However, I am concerned about the increase in the grunting noise when you put on the leash and go out for a walk with him. I don't want to alarm you, this is just something I have come across before, and felt it was better to be safe than sorry. If you are comfortable with your vet and don't feel a second opinion is in order, you might want to ask him/her to check for a collapsing trachea, which also can be the cause of these grunting noises. Since you don't know his history, that little dog might have been abused, someone pulled on the collar too hard at one point, and created this condition. Also keep in mind that Yorkies do suffer from bronchitis as I mentioned earlier. It is one of the inherent medical conditions of the breed and you should keep an eye out for it.
    Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 11:59 AM

I really appreciate the information all of you have given me.
    And I wanted to point out I have the chest/belly harness so he doesn't get pressure on his throat.
    The snoring while he sleeps is likely. I have never seen a more relaxed and deep sleep in a dog. He sleeps like a four day old corpse
    All the information you have given really helps because I have had only 2 other dogs. A german sheppard, and a great dane.They were healthy all their lives. Food (lots of it) was about the only thing they needed outside check ups.

I am finding out that these little dogs require more maintenance. Or so it seems. But this little dude is worth it . He has the same attitude as my great dane did. He thinks he's the baddest dog west of the Mississippi. What a riot to watch.

I think another trip to the vet is in order. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again everybody

Jul 22, 2010, 12:07 PM

I am having trouble visualizing the man in your avatar with a little yorkie sitting in his lap!

Enjoy your boy. Thank you for adopting that little guy from a shelter.

I am expecting to foster another wee one within the next week. I am concerned I may get too attached. She is very cute and like yours, a bit of a character.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Another_Lemming View Post
    I am having trouble visualizing the man in your avatar with a little yorkie sitting in his lap!

Enjoy your boy. Thank you for adopting that little guy from a shelter.

I am expecting to foster another wee one within the next week. I am concerned I may get too attached. She is very cute and like yours, a bit of a character.
    It is funny you say that. Everybody that I have known for a number of years said the same thing. One friend told me he could picture me feeding a yorkie to a snake , while it was sitting on my lap but can't picture me having one and enjoying it.
    I was a different person years ago.
    Harsh living can teach harsh but valuable lessons if you live through it. And so far it appears I have.

Thanks again for the help with Muttley.
    Post some pictures of your new addition . I have browsed a few of the many pet posts and intend to check out more . There are some great pet lovers here.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 03:52 AM

I read this thread and have to giggle. My bassett houn LouLou does the same thing!

She has been seen by the vet and there are no worries, we just get a great chuckle every time she makes these noises.

Jul 23, 2010, 04:12 AM

Paul, please understand that I believe it is probably nothing to worry about. I just thought it was important to have his trachea checked out just as a precaution.

It sounds as if this little guy was just what the doctor ordered for you, and vice versa!

I will definitely post a pic of the new addition/foster due to the uniqueness of the breed. It appears I will be getting a different dog than the one I was expecting. Same tiny breed though -- chinese crested powder puff! I usually foster larger dogs, pit breeds or mixes. From what I understand the poor boy has some issues so I have my work cut out for me. I am picking him up today so I might not be online much over the next few days. In two weeks, I am expecting two more pit mixes! So, this should be a very interesting end to the summer.

J_9, yes, they are pretty funny. I don't know why but for me, it brings out such a swell of love for the dog when he/she snores. Very irrational, completely emotional.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 04:40 AM

Apparently there is a simple surgery that can make the dog able to breathe easier. That hereditary condition can cause death when flying particularly as cargo in a plane. I recently read about it because of some team mascot who happens to travel frequently.

The short nose apparently also interferes with cooling and that's how they die on plane trips and the surgery helps that too.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 06:28 AM

This is an interesting experience with this little dog. He has done some of the funniest stuff I ever seen.
    I got home late the other day and expected to find a puddle or pile. He had been in for 6 hours.
    But there was neither.

I knew he must have to go pretty badly so I hustled him out and he ran to his favorite pee bush lifted his leg and peed and pee d and pee d. I don't know how he held it.

So he put his leg down and I started to walk off when he spun around and lifted the other leg and continued to pee. I guess he got tired standing on one leg for so long. I lost it. That was one of the funniest things I've seen for a while.

Also I was going to haul him to the vet anyway. He needs his 6 month tooth check.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 06:35 AM

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 06:36 AM

Dude, I have 4 dogs... Australian Shepherd mix, Rottweiler Lab mix (RottenLab), Basset Hound, and Newfounland... They all have their own personalities and strange noises.

Who needs guns with that mix at the front door barking? LOL
    Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 06:43 AM

Sounds like a lot of work. But I'm sure it's worth it.

And Aurora, as soon as I remember who I loaned my camera to, and I hunt them down ,I will post a pic of Muttley
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 06:48 AM

I have a 140# German Shepherd - she snores to the point that you can feel the floor vibrating. My other dog will lift her head, startled out of a sound sleep now and then, and stare at the GSD, sort of sigh and then put her head back down.

We're used to it so we usually sleep right through the noise.

Jul 23, 2010, 06:49 AM

You are a good storyteller! The imagery of your Muttley dog peeing had me laughing (and grunting/snorting like a pig).
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2010, 06:55 AM

I hope he got a treat after all of that.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 07:19 AM

Max snores louder than any human or beast I have ever heard!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This lyrics sounds abit like R&B hope it sounds good: what of this too [ 1 Answers ]

I, is not easy, but you still got to push on Ready, all right Chorus when they say this they say that Do what you do3x when they say this they say that Do what you do

Strange sounds? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I moved into a new house about a year ago now and I knew the people that lived there before, and lately in the last 2 weeks or so I've noticed strange noises. The noises normally sound like really heavy breathing and sometimes normal toned speaking such as someone saying no. I've tried to be...

You can put lipstick on a pig... it's still a pig. [ 84 Answers ]

How low and pathetic. I can guess in advance that he will say that he was not referring to Palin. But smart folk will know this is not true. If Palin would have never made the lipstick comment, then Obama would never have said what he did. FPd4yk0x-eg

Strange Microwave sounds [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help. Last night my microwave was working fine. This morning I tried to heat some water and a very loud buzzing sound came from the motor area. There was a small smell of plastic. Every time I try it the same thing. I have not let it run to see if it is...

View more questions Search