Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PJsPlace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Refrigerator Frame HOT to the Touch!
    I copy and pasted the post below because I am having the same problem, however I had a serviceman check it and the first time the fan had gotten disconnected during installation, that was fixed. I have moved out of the house and rented it to my daughter and she is now having the same problem. I check the fan with my son in law and it was working fine.

So that leads me to my question on the other reason you mentioned which I have highlighted. I checked the coils and can see no obstruction, if you mean dust and grime, I cleaned them the first time it happened, and they were still not bad at all when we checked this time. I understand that when the compressor is running the frame will be warm, but too hot to touch just doesn't seem right, and it doesn't seem to cool off.

I forget the model and it is too late to call and ask but it is a good size side by side black newer model. When knew it was about $3000, I bought it used from a neighbor. My son in law has a fan on top of the unit and it seems to help but it is still warm at what seems to be all the time? Does anyone have any idea what else I can check? I haven't the money right now to hire a professional for something that might be an easy fix.

It has been recessed into a wall in the kitchen and I am inclined to think this is causing an airflow problem even though there is plenty of space above the unit and a fan on top? Not sure what direction pulling the heat out or sending air behind the unit.

"applguy-Aug 30, 2005, 06:43 PM
    The center mullion divider (regardless of freezer/refrigerator configuration) always has some type of heating mechanism. It is not to stop condensation in the wall, it is to stop condensation on the surface that you can touch, usually color-coordinated with the unit's exterior. Some units have low-wattage electric elements behind the mullion cover, and will usually have a switch on the refrigerator control panel that speaks of energy consumption or humidity conditions. Other units have what is referred to as a "Yoder Loop". It is simply an extension of the condenser coil that warms the surface of the metal. In an MSD####*** refrigerator, it is a yoder loop. When the surface of the metal gets so hot you can't touch it, it means one of two things has happened. Either the condenser coil has become obstructed and air isn't moving under the unit (which you can find at the left-rear corner behind the black cardboard cover), or the condenser fan motor that creates the air movement has stopped running. Believe me, it is in no way shape or form a hazard to any occupant of the house, electrically or otherwise. Eventually, the compressor will get so hot, it will simply cease to function temporarily), and then you will lose all your food and ice. Better to deal with it sooner than later and fortunately this model uses a completely standard condenser fan motor, readily available at any appliance repair center."
    lilykoi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
    My whirlpool refrige is hot to the touch also,even though I cleaned underneath of it, I just ordered a Evaporator fan motor kit,is it the same as a condenser fan motor?Also, is it easy to install myself?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toe touch [ 10 Answers ]

?? I need a lot of help to get my toe touch higher and more straight? Can some one please help me know? I want to make it on the high school team!

Frame Structure QUESTION [ 2 Answers ]

There has a few type of FRAME STRUCTURE. There are PLANE FRAMES, SPACE FRAMES & SKELETON FRAMES. Explain and sketch the shape for three type construction method of the FRAME.

Insulation of an A-frame roof [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We live in a 4 story A-frame with a huge roof surface area. The rafters of the roof are only 8". Seems to me that there is a lot of heat escaping thru the roof. The rooms can get cold. I'm toying with the idea of adding false walls and ceiling to the rooms. I would leave the...

Frame in for Bath Drain [ 2 Answers ]

What is the recommended size of box I should use to "Frame In" the bathtub drain for a basement rough install? I was thinking of using a treated 1" x 10" to make a 14" x 14" box. Will the 9 3/4" be too deep? I was also told to place a little concrete in the bottom of the box to prevent any water...

View more questions Search