Can a adult adopt another adult
    Just a quick question.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 23, 2010, 02:00 PM
    Quick answer, no.
    vickshultz Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jul 12, 2010, 09:53 PM
    I suppose you could if the one being adopted is mentally handicapped!
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vickshultz View Post
    I suppose you could if the one being adopted is mentally handicapped!

I don't think so. Maybe they can be appointed guardian if the person is handicapped. I'm no lawyer but I don't think you can adopt any adult.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Quick answer, no.
    Quick answer-YES.
    Pa law
    2311. Who may be adopted.

Any individual may be adopted, regardless of his age or residence.
    2713. When other consents not required.

The court, in its discretion, may dispense with consents other than that of the adoptee to a petition for adoption when:

1. the adoptee is over 18 years of age;

Indiana Code
    31-19-2-1. Adoption of adult; petition; venue; consent; investigation

Sec. 1.

(a) An individual who is at least eighteen (18) years of age may be adopted by a resident of Indiana:

(1) upon proper petition to the court having jurisdiction in probate matters in the county of residence of the individual or the petitioner for adoption; and

(2) with the consent of the individual acknowledged in open court.
    Family Law Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 12:32 PM

Tennessee code
    36-1-107. Persons to whom this part is applicable.
    (c) An adult may be adopted.
    36-1-117. Parties to proceedings
    (j) (1) When the person sought to be adopted is eighteen (18) years of age or older, only the sworn, written consent of the person sought to be adopted shall be required and no order of reference or any home studies need be issued.
    Family Law Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 12:34 PM

Rhode Island
    15-7-4. Petition to adopt – Court having jurisdiction.

(d) Petitions for adoptions of persons eighteen (18) years or older shall be heard by the probate court of the city or town in which the petitioners live.
    15-7-5. Consent required.
    In case the child to be adopted is eighteen (18) years or older, the consent of, or notice to, the child's parents or other person in the child's behalf shall not be required.
    Family Law Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 12:36 PM

And finally-Texas
    162.501. Adoption of Adult
    The court may grant the petition of an adult residing in this state to adopt another adult according to this subchapter.
    162.503. Requirements of Petition
    (b) If the petitioner is married, both spouses must join in the petition for adoption.

162.504. Consent
    A court may not grant an adoption unless the adult consents in writing to be adopted by the petitioner.

... and California:
    9300. (a) An adult may be adopted by another adult, including a stepparent, as provided in this part.
    (b) A married minor may be adopted in the same manner as an adultunder this part.

9301. A married person who is not lawfully separated from the person's spouse may not adopt an adult without the consent of the spouse, provided that the spouse is capable of giving that consent.

9302. (a) A married person who is not lawfully separated from the person's spouse may not be adopted without the consent of the spouse,provided that the spouse is capable of giving that consent.
    (b) The consent of the parents of the proposed adoptee, of the department, or of any other person is not required.

9303. (a) A person may not adopt more than one unrelated adult under this part within one year of the person's adoption of a non related adult, unless the proposed adoptee is the biological sibling of a person previously adopted pursuant to this part or unless the proposed adoptee is disabled or physically handicapped.
    (b) A person may not adopt an unrelated adult under this part within one year of an adoption of another person under this part by the prospective adoptive parent's spouse, unless the proposed adopteeis a biological sibling of a person previously adopted pursuant to this part.

9304. A person adopted pursuant to this part may take the family name of the adoptive parent.

9305. After adoption, the adoptee and the adoptive parent or parents shall sustain towards each other the legal relationship of parent and child and have all the rights and are subject to all the duties of that relationship.

9306. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), the birth parents of a person adopted pursuant to this part are, from the time of the adoption, relieved of all parental duties towards, and all responsibility for, the adopted person, and have no right over the adopted person.
    (b) Where an adult is adopted by the spouse of a birth parent, the parental rights and responsibilities of that birth parent are not affected by the adoption.

9307. A hearing with regard to adoption under Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 9320) or termination of a parent and child relationship under Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 9340) may, in the discretion of the court, be open and public.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    And finally-Texas
    162.501. Adoption of Adult
    The court may grant the petition of an adult residing in this state to adopt another adult according to this subchapter.
    162.503. Requirements of Petition
    (b) If the petitioner is married, both spouses must join in the petition for adoption.

162.504. Consent
    A court may not grant an adoption unless the adult consents in writing to be adopted by the petitioner.

....and California:
    9300. (a) An adult may be adopted by another adult, including a stepparent, as provided in this part.
    (b) A married minor may be adopted in the same manner as an adultunder this part.

9301. A married person who is not lawfully separated from the person's spouse may not adopt an adult without the consent of the spouse, provided that the spouse is capable of giving that consent.

9302. (a) A married person who is not lawfully separated from the person's spouse may not be adopted without the consent of the spouse,provided that the spouse is capable of giving that consent.
    (b) The consent of the parents of the proposed adoptee, of the department, or of any other person is not required.

9303. (a) A person may not adopt more than one unrelated adult under this part within one year of the person's adoption of a non related adult, unless the proposed adoptee is the biological sibling of a person previously adopted pursuant to this part or unless the proposed adoptee is disabled or physically handicapped.
    (b) A person may not adopt an unrelated adult under this part within one year of an adoption of another person under this part by the prospective adoptive parent's spouse, unless the proposed adopteeis a biological sibling of a person previously adopted pursuant to this part.

9304. A person adopted pursuant to this part may take the family name of the adoptive parent.

9305. After adoption, the adoptee and the adoptive parent or parents shall sustain towards each other the legal relationship of parent and child and have all the rights and are subject to all the duties of that relationship.

9306. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), the birth parents of a person adopted pursuant to this part are, from the time of the adoption, relieved of all parental duties towards, and all responsibility for, the adopted person, and have no right over the adopted person.
    (b) Where an adult is adopted by the spouse of a birth parent, the parental rights and responsibilities of that birth parent are not affected by the adoption.

9307. A hearing with regard to adoption under Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 9320) or termination of a parent and child relationship under Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 9340) may, in the discretion of the court, be open and public.
    Smarty:D
    Family Law Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 09:04 PM

Some state statutes only provide for adult adoption if the person to be adopted is of diminished capacity. Some states require the consent of the spouse of the person to be adopted (if married), some require notification of biological parent(s), and some require nothing more than the consent of the adult parties.
    An adult may not adopt another adult in Illinois unless the person to be adopted has lived with the prospective adopter for at least two years.
    Only those who are permanently disabled or retarded or those who established a foster child relationship or stepchild relationship while the person to be adopted was still a child may be adopted in Ohio.
    Louisiana allows the adoption of adults by creating and registering a private agreement between the two parties.

Louisiana Statute:RS 9:461
    Right of adoption; conditions, limitations, and procedure; court order.
    A/ Any person eighteen years or older may adopt any person over the age of seventeen years, according to the following conditions, limitations, and procedure:
    1. The adoption shall be effected by the execution of a notarial act signed by:

A. The adoptive parent or parents and the person to be adopted when the person to be adopted is a major or an emancipated minor.

B. The adoptive parent or parents and the duly appointed curator when the person to be adopted is an interdicted major.

C. The adoptive parent or parents and the living parent or parents or guardian or tutor, or a tutor ad hoc appointed for the purpose, of the person to be adopted when the person to be adopted is an unemancipated minor over the age of seventeen years.

Kitkat22-let's imagine that:
    "Hello! I am John Doe, I am 18 and this is my legal daughter-she is 17"-haha... Funny but... legal in Louisiana:):)
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 09:27 PM
    Some state statutes only provide for adult adoption if the person to be adopted is of diminished capacity. Some states require the consent of the spouse of the person to be adopted (if married), some require notification of biological parent(s), and some require nothing more than the consent of the adult parties.
    An adult may not adopt another adult in Illinois unless the person to be adopted has lived with the prospective adopter for at least two years.
    Only those who are permanently disabled or retarded or those who established a foster child relationship or stepchild relationship while the person to be adopted was still a child may be adopted in Ohio.
    Louisiana allows the adoption of adults by creating and registering a private agreement between the two parties.

Louisiana Statute:RS 9:461
    Right of adoption; conditions, limitations, and procedure; court order.
    A/ Any person eighteen years or older may adopt any person over the age of seventeen years, according to the following conditions, limitations, and procedure:
    1. The adoption shall be effected by the execution of a notarial act signed by:

A. The adoptive parent or parents and the person to be adopted when the person to be adopted is a major or an emancipated minor.

B. The adoptive parent or parents and the duly appointed curator when the person to be adopted is an interdicted major.

C. The adoptive parent or parents and the living parent or parents or guardian or tutor, or a tutor ad hoc appointed for the purpose, of the person to be adopted when the person to be adopted is an unemancipated minor over the age of seventeen years.

Kitkat22-let's imagine that:
    "Hello! I am John Doe, I am 18 and this is my legal daughter-she is 17"-haha....Funny but....legal in Louisiana:):)

I would freak out. What a world... :eek:
    Family Law Expert

Jul 14, 2010, 09:29 PM

I remember a funny case where a woman /28/ with two children ,was adopted only to have her mother's attempts to get grand-parent visitation CUT OFF:D
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2010, 09:34 PM
    I remember a funny case where a woman /28/ with two children ,was adopted only to have her mother's attempts to get grand-parent visitation CUT OFF:D

OMG.. Get out of here:D
    Kimhayburn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Yes. My sister in-law was raised by her aunt and uncle and two years ago when she was 36 they legally adopted her.
    There's nothing wrong with her, she has a family of her own. They just wanted to make it official I guess.
    Kimhayburn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 07:19 PM

My sis in-law was adopted at age 36 by her aunt and uncle because they raised her when she was a kid and I guess just wanted to make it official. This happened in California.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2010, 07:31 PM

That's wonderful.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 11, 2010, 08:43 PM
    Here in the Great White North, the question answers as follows:

http://www.adoptingback.com/canadian_law.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My adult children won't see me [ 4 Answers ]

I was a single parent to my children 99% of there lives. My husband took myself and the children to see my parents (from Conn. To VA) dropped us off and sent me divorce papers. My daughter was 5mos. And my son had just turned 4. He quit his job and did not pay child support. Now that they are...

What to do about an adult with a baby tooth and an adult tooth behind? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 37 and still have a baby tooth (a canine) and in the last few years, the adult tooth finally came down partway behind it. The baby tooth has gotten progressively loose, although still hanging in there. The root of the tooth is exposed, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it comes...

View more questions Search