Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    masterofsix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 03:55 PM
    What causes a dog to gag constantly
    My little Rat Terrier keeps gagging. Vet says to give her cough syrup but that is not helping.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 04:59 PM

A vet suggested you gibe him cough syrup? Wow...

Coughs that persist or produce blood or mucous should be examined by a veterinarian, who will need a full history of the dog's behavior prior to the cough. The veterinarian may require a set of tests and perhaps a chest X-ray to get a feel of what may be wrong with the dog's respiratory tract.

There are numerous things that can cause your dog to gag and cough, heart murmurs, parasites, kennel cough, an extra long patella are just to name a few. Is your dog doing a reverse sneeze or an actual gag?

Dogs with kennel cough, for example, will often gag. You will hear 'cough, cough, cough -- ack.

Anything from allergies to a sinus infection or cold will produce an abundance of mucous and will cause your dog to cough and gag. So can a more serious problem, like a weak esophagus or cancer of the throat.

Some things to be mindful of are:

# Your pet gags only when he is on a leash
    # Your dog is coughing as well as gagging
    # Your dog or cat has a runny nose and scratches frequently
    # Your pet can't open his mouth or is having trouble opening it
    # He can't close his mouth
    # He won't eat or has difficulty chewing or swallowing
    # His tongue, lips, or muzzle are swollen
    # There is a foreign object stuck in his mouth
    # His gums are red and swollen, or there is bleeding
    # Your pet is drooling or panting excessively
    # His tongue or gums are blue or pale
    # Your pet has ulcers on his tongue
    # He is gagging frequently
    # There is a lump anywhere on his face
    # He is pawing frequently at his mouth or face
    # There is a discharge from his mouth or nose that lasts two days or longer
    # His breath is consistently bad
    # Your pet's nose is dry, crusty, or bleeding
    # His mouth is foaming, or he's grinding his teeth
    # There is dried saliva around the mouth

any of these symptoms are reason to see a vet.

Copy and pasted from :

Read More Pets Symptom Solver Tool -- Mouth, Nose, and Teeth
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Jul 11, 2010, 05:46 PM

To answer your question, I have never had a vet recommend cough syrup for a gagging issue for any of my animals or anyone that I know who has pets. I would be very surprised to hear about someone else here having the same problem you are encountering without more detailed information from you.

Did your vet say why he/she was recommending cough syrup? Was there a diagnosis? If not, I suggest you find another vet and get a second opinion. If there was a diagnosis & you know why he/she suggested cough syrup, please post back with that information or call your vet asap and inform him that the cough syrup isn't working.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2010, 08:37 AM

Are you sure it is a gag and not a cough? She could have gotten kennel cough, also my old dog was gagging and coughing, and seemed like it was hard for him to breath. Some of the things the vet said it could be:
    -Something is stuck in his esophagus
    -He has a rare muscle disorder (cant remember the name, but it effect the esophagus)
    -Something is wrong with his stomach (Maybe an ulcer)
    -He has kennel cough
    -pneumonia

As you can see there are many things that could be wrong, TAKE HER TO A VET!

And Shaz, when I was googling my dogs symptoms looking for a possible explanation almost every web page said to give cough syrup, I could easily see where they were misguided, but I don't see why they lied about going to a vet, and if they didn't lie they need to seek a better vet!
    masterofsix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I do take my dogs to vet for all their checkups and when they are sick. This seemed like a leash problem then it continued. I called Vet (have been going to her since 1985)and she suggested dextromethorphan cough sy
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2010, 11:38 AM

My vet gave my dog Robitussin gelcaps for cough, but never suggested liquid cough syrup.

My dog was really old and his cough ended up being from congestive heart failure, but even the Robitussin, Endocard and Lasix didn't stop the cough.

You need to take your dog to the vet for a complete health workup to be sure he does't have a serious health issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House trained dog all of sudden starts constantly peeing in house! [ 6 Answers ]

I have a chocolate labe mix. She was a stray when we first found her. She was completely housetrained when we first brought her home and then she had puppies almost 2 months after we found her. Ever since she had the puppies she`s been peeing in the house constantly. She also has been drinking...

My dog is losing a lot of weight, not eating but drinks water constantly. What co [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is losing a lot of weight, not eating and drinks water constantly. What could be wrong with him?

Dog is constantly wanting to be fed at night. [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is a 6 year old chihuahua/jack Russell rescue. We had her for 4 years now and over the past two years she began to wake up multiple times at night. She is scared of crates and will not go in one. She barks and wines unless we wake up and feed her. THis occurs at about 1:30 and 4:30 in...

Our 2 dogs visited a dog park and now will not eat and constantly vomiting [ 1 Answers ]

A day after spending an afternoon at an amazing Dog Park in WInter Park FL, my dogs refused to eat and now are even vomiting water, one is a mixed breed terrier and one is a pappillon. The only thing, there is a lake on property and both dogs drank out of the lake. There must have been over 200...

My dog is 11 years old and her back legs constantly colapse [ 2 Answers ]

My dog, Spatsy, is 11 years old, she cannot hear very well, not that, that has anything to do with my question, but she will try to come up the stairs and her back legs will not work right. We don't know what is wrong with her. I really need some answers. She will be walking one minute and her legs...

View more questions Search