Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lvessell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Craftsman riding mower brake adjustment
    I need to repair the clutch/brake on my sears craftsman 19.5 horse power riding mower. I have no stopping .
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 12:12 PM
    This Is A Simple Repair, Lay Down Behind The Rear Wheels Of The Tractor With Your Head To The Right Hand Side Of The Unit. Look Up And Forward Just In Front Of The Axle And You Will See A Disc, Or A Small "s" Shaped Bracket With More Than Likely A 1/2" Nut , Take The Wrench And Tighten This Nut A Little. Try It And Then Tighten More To Make The Final Adjustment.
    tractorboy15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 04:10 PM
    I have a 1999 mtd lawn mower and the brakes don't work good
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2010, 04:29 PM

Try the same adjustment,or replace the pads behind the adjusting nuts.
    wschng Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 12:39 PM
    I just bought a craftsman lawn tractor model # 917.28856. Used it 5 times and tried to get it out when parking brake will not release. Suggestions?
    hoppy64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2012, 04:52 AM
    As sitting on yard tractor- the right rear, just in front of your rear tractor axle - you will see a round disk (rotor) generally in the bracket you will see a center nut approx.1/2 in. place shifter in neutral- turn wheels - if wheels no turn - make sure you are not in park- turn wheels- if still no turn- loosen center 1/2 in. nut (but do not remove) still no turn- tap with rubber mallet or orange plastic dead blow hammer ( to release) tighten nut clockwise slowly while turning wheels- when you feel a slight drag while turning wheels-stop- turn counter clockwise 1/4 turn then stop- you should be good. Sometimes if they sit for awhile they won't release. I jack the rear up and remove the right rear wheel for easier access. Good luck! Be safe and make sure tractor is stable by supporting with jack stands.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman mower clutch/brake [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor and something happened while mowing. Now to get the mower to go forward or reverse I have to pull back on the clutch/brake pedal. Works fine as long as I have it pulled back, but my foot is getting tired holding it in position so the mower will go. Recently...

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Huskee riding mower valve adjustment [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 42" cut Huskee riding mower with a 16hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Every year the valves need to be adjusted, it will not start or it's hard to start. This last time it went from kicking back and hard to start, to spinning over like it had no compression. I had started the mower and it...

Sears Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower Blade adjustment [ 1 Answers ]

My Sears Craftsman 42" cut riding lawnmower has 2 blade decks. With the height adjustment lever in the highest position (or in any position), the left blade/deck cuts lower than the right. How do I adjust the left blade deck/blade to a higher position?l

View more questions Search