Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WhittyAJ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 01:51 PM
    Ceiling fan wire colors don't match those described in manual - what's the blue wire?
    My husband was trying to install a ceiling fan this weekend to replace an old one that was there previously. From the ceiling, we have a black wire, a white wire, and a blue wire. However, in the instructions for the fan, it says that in the ceiling we should have a black wire (ungrounded), a white wire (grounded), and a green ground wire (grounding) coming from the ceiling. It also suggests that we should have an ungrounded wire for the wall switch. So we're not sure if the blue wire is the same as a green grounding wire? Or is it the same as the ungrounded wire from the switch (which doesn't work and has never worked since we moved in)?

The new fan has a green ground wire (grounding) coming from the ceiling plate and from the fan itself. Also from the fan in a different place are a cluster with a black wire (ungrounded), a white wire (grounded), and a black/white wire (ungrounded). The instructions say to connect the following:
    1) green ground wire in the ceiling (which we don't have!) to green ground wires from the ceiling plate and fan
    2) white grounded wire from the ceiling to white grounded in the fan (this seems okay)
    3) black ungrounded wire in the ceiling to black ungrounded wire in the fan (this seems okay)
    4) black/white wire in the fan to "ungrounded wire for wall switch" in the ceiling for a dual switch wiring OR to black ungrounded wire in ceiling for single switch wiring. (Is that the blue wire or is the blue wire the grounding wire?)

For the old ceiling fan, it never worked with the wall switch. The fan could only be turned on/off with the chain and the light never worked at all.

Any words of wisdom about what the blue wire is? We're okay not using the wall switch, but we do want to be able to use the fan and we want it to be safe. Can anyone help?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2010, 02:36 PM
    The blue wire should have a tag on it that says "light". If you don't have a light on the fan, just tape it out of the way. If you have a light, and a non working wall switch, connect the black and blue together to the black power lead and use the pull chains. Ideally, you should have 2 wall switches with a 14/3 wire. That way, one switch would turn the fan on and off and the other the light. Blue is not allowed by code to be a color used for a grounding wire. Hope this helps.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2010, 02:39 PM

What make was the old fan, and how was it controlled?

Ceiling Fan Wiring, Ceiling Fan Wiring Technical Help, Do it Yourself (DIY) - Ceiling Fans N More

Jul 9, 2010, 01:53 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    This is helpful. Thanks!

Jul 9, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Comment on ceilingfanrepair's post
    Not sure what make the old fan was, but the link you posted has good information on it. Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace 4 wire ceiling fan (& wall plate 2 wall sliders), with 5 wire fan + remote? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, Current configuration: Wall switch that has 2 sliders, one for the fan (has multiple speed capability) and the other for the light (has dimming capability). Our wall slider switch looks like this one (but not this make/model), just for FYI: Hunter Fan/Light Dual Slide Preset Control -...

How to install a ceiling fan with only a black, blue and white wire no green [ 2 Answers ]

How to install a ceiling fan with only a blue, blac, and white wire with no green, the ceiling has a bare or copper wire, a red, white, and black wire

Can anyone tell me how to wire 3 speed 4 wire switch for heritage farm ceiling fan [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: Need help my chain broke no light in kitchen no fan working:) :)

3-wire capacitor to work like a 2-wire in a fan ceiling combo with new dimmer [ 21 Answers ]

I have bought a FAN/LIGHT dimmer switch in lieu of the regular switch with the pull chains on my fan/light combo. I haven't even started with the switch portion where I have red wires and one thick black one. I am still working on the damn pull chain to NON pull chain setup now. I have this same...

Trying to wire a 3 speed, 4 wire ceiling fan switch [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 3 speed 4 wire ceiling fan switch for an Aloha Breeze 52" ceiling fan. The original fan switch fell apart when I tried to see how it was connected. I have to connect black (hot wire), grey, orange and purple wires to the switch (L,1,2,3). The orange and purple wires come...

View more questions Search